This project was for 'Creative Electronics', a Beng Electronics Engineering 4th year module at the University of Málaga, School of Telecommunications . This project was made by Tomas and Juan Jose, students of this University
It's a Launchpad based in Arduino Uno, transmitting midi commands to the PC. In this instructables we use the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" to play the music, but you can use differents programs, like Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio...
Step 1: List of Components and Tools
- 1 x Arduino Uno board
- 1 x Button Pad 4x4 - Breakout PCB
- 1 x Button Pad 4x4 - Led Compatible
- 16 x RGB Leds
- 16 x 220Ω resistors
- 16 x N4048 diodes
- 2 x Socket DIP 16
- 2 x 74HC595
- 1 x 40 Pin Header Male
- Wire cutter
- Soldering iron
- Solder wick
Step 2: Soldering the Components
- Soldering PCB Sparkfun
Just solder the diodes to the Breakout PCB. Make sure to solder the diode in the correct position, putting the black side in the correct position.
Now it's time to solder the RGB leds. Make sure you solder it to the correct side of the Breakout PCB and also try to set the led as close to the Breakout PCB as possible because if not, the pad will hit the led when pushing a button.
Finally, solder the pins to the breakout PCB.
2. Soldering Auxiliar PCB
First solder the sockets for the IC. Put the ICs inside. Then solder the resistors and the pin as close to the sockets.
Finally, solder the wire to connect the differents pin (latch, data, clock) to the correct socket's pin.
Step 3: Software
For this project you will need this software:
- Hairless MidiSerial. This software create a virtual midi port, necessary for connect the arduino to the Pc Software. This software is "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" which is included in Windows.
- Library "MidispositivoMidi" for the Arduino Uno. This library will help us to turn on/off the lights, and send midi commands to the PC over the USB cable.
- Midi Yoke. This application is opcional. Is used to create some virtual midi ports and connect the arduino to commercial sofware as Abletom for example.It is essencial to install with windows compatibility.
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth play the note depending on the command that receive from the Arduino. We can configure this note in the software from "MidispositivoMidi", changing the instruments accords of this table.
Step 4: Conclusions
I hope you find my instructable interesting. Please comment your views and If anyone is interesting in continuing the project, is free to ask anything and post below the upgrade.
For realization the video, we used a commercial program called Abletom and we have associated with each button a diffrent sampler.