In making my light bulb oil project based on a photograph I saw on the internet. I will not post the pic here as it may be copyrighted. In my research I tracked the artist down forgot his name this was back in 2013 as I could not find this supposed piece of recycled art that sold for $750.00
In my search to figure out a way to make my own I can across instructables and others who had made their on version or one inspired by it. This allowed me to jump ahead with better understanding.
Here is a link that might help get you started by Magnelectrostatic https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Oyule-Lamp/ He did the heavy lifting.
Step 1: Tools, Parts and Safety
The reason this product is not commercially available or any variation there of is light bulbs are very fragile. If you were to put this into production it would have to be manufactured from the ground up, the glass bulbs would have to be thicker.
I found handling the light bulb to be easy, however safety first. Eye protection and thick gloves or wrap the bulb in an old towel. Use a box, cardboard, or plastic under the bulb to catch the glass fragments. In the link provided there are various ways to dismantle a light bulb. I have done quite few of these over the years developed my own method. I use these aluminum wick holders there are others I didn't locate the ones from the inspiration pick.
Tools: Dremel, use these attachments a cut off wheel and grinding stone. Screw driver, ice pick anything to act as a punch, needle nose pliers (in case you need to fish out the element) and salt.
Parts: 2 Burned out incandescent bulbs, 2 magnets, 1 steel plate, black spray paint, rubber feet with sticky adhesive, and aluminum wick holders.
Fuel: Smokeless liquid paraffin lamp oil. Accept no other substitutes!
Step 2: Spray Paint Metal Base Plate
I chose a 6"x 7"x 1/4" steel metal plate. Make sure the surface is clean. I sprayed three coats letting the plate dry between coats. Attach rubber feet after plate is dry.
These parts can be had on eBay.
Step 3: Working the Light Bulb
As I am replacing the bottom contact part of the light bulb with the wick holder my approach is to use a Dremel tool to cut off the base flush as I can get using the cut off wheel. Don't worry if the cut is not perfect.
The cut you want to make runs along the base of the tapered edge. Next take the punch, screw drive or ice pick. I don't try to punch straight through preferring gently applied side pressure to break open the element. Make sure the base of the light bulb is facing away from you and downward when you break the glass that holds the element. When the vacuum is released broken pieces of glass will be expelled from the bulb. Fish out the element with needle nose pliers if necessary. Now swap out the cutting wheel for the grinding stone. Work the edges where you cut the base connection off. It's okay to leave it a little rough. Then use the grinding stone to hone out the ceramic part of the bulb this allows for the placement or fitting of the wick holder.
Step 4: Removing the Inner Coating.
Unless you are using a clear bulb you will need to clean the coating off of the inside surface. Pour salt into the bulb and swish it around till all the coating is off the bulb. This is really easy to do. Dump the salt in the trash and wash the bulb. Again these bulbs are very fragile so be careful.
Step 5: Finish.
Take the magnets and gently place them in each bulb, Gently place the bulb on the base plate. It's a good idea to make sure the aluminum wick holder will seat properly test this before adding the liquid paraffin I do this by removing the wick, if not a little more grinding may be in order.
Soak the wick in advance in the liquid paraffin. When replacing the wick it should only protrude a 1/4 of inch above the top of the wick holder.
Add the Liquid paraffin I do not fill to the top I leave about 2 1/2 inches of air space. I use a beaker to fill mine a small funnel would would work great if I had one.
"Light this candle" as the late Allen Shepard said.
I hope you enjoy your light bulb oil lamp as much as I have over the last few years.
Thanks to the Instructable's team for the encouragement to complete my first tutorial.
This project has been brought to by a dyslexic at work.