This instructable shows you how to make a snowman ornament that has a hidden circuit. The circuit is made using adhesive copper tape and Chibitronic sticker. It's a fun and easy craft. If you don't want to cut the snowman out, you can buy the kit on Etsy: https://etsy.me/2zv1ieV
Hope you enjoy it!
Step 1: Gather the Parts, Cut Out the Snowman and Hat
Here's what you need:
- Two snowman cutouts (front and back) - use the attached PDF for these patterns. Note that there are dotted lines that show where to fold the bottom of the snowman. Score the snowman parts along these lines to make the fold crisp.
- Two paper hat cutouts - use the attached PDF
- 1/4 inch (6.4 cm) copper tape with adhesive backing
- Three Chibitronic lights - I used Pink, Green, and Orange
- Two toothpicks
- Orange felt for the nose
- Red yarn for scarf
- Red ribbon for hanging
- One large paperclip
- Glue dots
- One 3v batteries
Step 2: Mark the Button Locations on the Inside of the Snowman Back
- Take the snowman front and back and place them on a flat surface, wrong sides together. The front of the snowman should be the one on top.
- Mark the button locations, by drawing a dot in the three holes located on the snowman front.
Step 3: Build the Circuit for the Lights
To make the circuit, you will place two pieces of copper tape vertically on the inside of the snowman’s back. The battery will go on top of the shorter piece of tape, and then you will create a tab with the longer piece of tape to place on top of the battery. This will create a closed circuit:
- Cut a piece of copper tape that is about 5 inches (12.7 cm).
- Place it vertically along the left side of the marks you made for the buttons. Make sure that it is close to the marks to ensure a good connection. Continue it across the fold line onto the rectangle at the bottom that forms the base of the snowman.
- Cut another piece of tape that is about 7 inches long (17.8 cm).
- Place it vertically along the right side of the button marks, staying close to the marks but not touching the other piece of copper tape. You want about a 1/8 inch (3.175 mm) between the two pieces of tape.
- Extend the tape just over the fold line but do not continue past there.
- Remove the backing from the remaining tape. Find the center of the loose tape, then fold it at the center and stick it to itself. You should now have a loose piece of tape with no adhesive showing.
Step 4: Place the Chibitronic Stickers
- Place the stickers with the positive side on the left. Try to get each LED lined up over one of the marks you made while being careful not to overlap the stickers. This could cause a short circuit.
- Press each sticker firmly on to the copper tape to ensure a good connection.
- Test the connections by placing the battery positive side down on the fixed piece of copper tape, place the loose tab over the top to connect with the negative side, then press firmly to ensure the battery is fully connected.
Step 5: Put the Snowman Parts Together
- Hold the snowman front with the right side facing you, then fold the end tab away from you to form a right angle. Do the same with the back of the snowman.
- Place glue dots on the wrong side of the tab for the robot front, then line up the tab for the back and secure it.
- Put glue dots on each side where you want the arms to be located.
- Stick the toothpicks to the glue dots then press the sides together.
- Place glue dots along the sides and top of the snowman to stick the front and back together. Try to leave the bottom snowball open to accommodate the battery.
Step 7: Finish Decorating the Snowman
- Draw a face on the snowman with a pencil or marker.
- Place a glue dot on the top of the snowman’s head and secure the hat to it.
- Turn the snowman over. Place glue dots on the outer edges of the hat and secure the other hat to it.
- Place a glue dot in between the hats at the top to secure them a little better.
- If you like, add the ribbon by sticking it to the glue dot before pressing the hats together.
- Cut a triangle of the orange felt. Place a glue dot on it and add it to the snowman’s face.
- Tie the scarf around his neck.
Step 8: Add the Battery
- Place the battery, positive side down, on the attached piece of copper tape on the tab.
- Place the loose piece of tape over it.
- Gently slide the paperclip over them to hold the whole thing in place.
This is an entry in the
Big and Small Contest