Welcome to a very special recipe. We decided to share this recipe here on Instructables because the people here are just great and we are temporarily removing this product from our online store while we look into a more dynamic and environmentally friendly packaging option. So we figured there was no sense in depriving people of this great lip balm while we temporarily remove.
Lets get started!
Special Note: Please take a moment to visit our website, reconnect with nature, find your inner goddess and support the cause! ;) http://www.omtoria.com/#reclaim
Step 1: What You Will Need
You will need the following:
1. Measuring Spoons
2. Glass Pyrex Bowl and slightly larger cooking pot (to use the double boiler technique for melting & combining oils, butters and beeswax).
4. Medicinal Herbs (Yarrow, All-Heal and Lemon Balm). - these are optional but highly recommended as these three plants heal cuts as well as combat the herpies virus (aka, cold sores). We grow our own plants for our products but here is a link to a wonderful place that sells almost everything under the sun. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/
5. Lip Balm Storage Containers (small post or tubes will work).
6. Organic Hemp Seed Oil
8. Shea Butter
9. Coconut Oil
10. Castor Oil
11. Sea Buckthorn Fruit Oil (this can be hard to obtain if not buying wholesale and pricey). You can omit this oil or replace with Avocado Oil for a little extra hydration.
12. Sesame Seed Oil
13. Peppermint Essential Oil or Vanilla Absolute (depending our your personal preference. Or you can completely omit if you would like to keep it without scent).
Step 2: Step 1
Infusing the healing medicinal herbs into an oil.
This is an optional step. You can create a highly moisturizing lip balm without infusing any medicinal plants into the oil. But the herbs that we picked are excellent in healing cracked lips as well as combatting the Herpies virus.
GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 2 IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO INFUSE YOUR OIL
Organic Hemp Seed Oil is an excellent oil for infusing. It is naturally high in vitamin E (which acts as a natural preservative). We infused Organic Hemp Seed Oil for this recipe.
- Measure about a cup of dried herb (combined Yarrow, All-Heal and Lemon Balm) into a glass pyrex bowl. Pour enough Hemp Seed Oil to just cover the herbs.
- Place the pyrex bowl of Hemp Seed Oil and Herbs into a pot of water (using the double boiler technique). Put the pot with water and the pyrex bowl of oil and herbs onto the stove and simmer the water. You want to slowly and gently heat the oil without allowing the oil to boil. Simmer (the water) for about an hour.
- Allow to cool before straining. Coffee filters are the best for filtering out all solid plant material. Simply place a coffee filter (natural unbleached is best) into a funnel and place the funnel into the mouth of the bottle which you would like to use to store your infused oil. Slowly pour your freshly infused oil into the filter and strain.
*We like to let our oil sit with the plant material within it for a full 24 hours after double boiling it to get as much medicinal properties out of the plants as possible.
Step 3: Step 2
Mixing Everything Together.
Measure and combine the following ingredients into a clean pyrex glass bowl. Place the glass bowl into a pot of water to perform a double boiler technique.
* if you do not work in the metric system here is a link to easily convert mL's into oz's. http://www.convertunits.com/from/ml/to/oz
- 45 mL Organic Hemp Seed Oil (the infused oil if you did this step)
- 10 mL Beeswax
- 12 mL Shea butter
- 10 mL coconut Oil
- 9 mL Castor Oil
- 1 mL Sea Buckthorn Fruit Oil (Or Avocado Oil)
- 5 mL Sesame Seed Oil
Slowly simmer the water surrounding the ingredients (do not let the ingredients boil, just allow everything to slowly melt). Gently whisk to combine ingredients as they melt (the Shea butter usually takes the longest).
Once everything is melted and combined remove from heat and lit sit for only a minute and stir in 2-3 drops of your peppermint essential oil or vanilla absolute.
Step 4: Step 3
Pour into small jars or lip tube vials.
Do not allow the liquid lip balm to sit once you have dropped in your essential oil (it will start to harden quickly).
Have your jars or tubes ready before melting everything together to ensure you are ready to bottle immediately.
This recipe makes a LOT of lip balm, you can divide this recipe to make a smaller amount. Extra tubes and jars can be stored in the fridge for a couple of years to keep fresh.
This lip balm will go onto your lips a bit like a lip gloss (but without the sticky or heavy feeling that you would traditionally get from a lip balm made with man made chemicals). It will only need to be reapplied after eating or drinking. If you do infuse this lip balm with the medicinal herbs and you feel a cold sore coming on then apply the lip balm multiple times throughout the day to kill off those nasty little cold sore viruses!
From Your Nature Loving Friends at Omtoria All Natural Skin Care!