What do you think of a modular furniture that becomes a table or a personal seating space with one flip?
Pieces and puzzles is what this box is inspired from.Take the modular piece , slide it in and it becomes a cushioned seating.To make it a table , simply slide it out , flip horizontally and settle it on the grooves.Cushion flips beneath as you flip the piece and you get a table to work on .
Concept - The part that slides almost halfway on one side , when flipped horizontally settles on small groove cutout on the other side. All three faces of the box have halfway through cutouts as well as small grooves to place on , after flipping .
- The furniture provides good leg room and has storage facility .
- It can be used as a personal space .
- It is a good and creative piece of furniture for children .
- Can only accomodate two people at a time.
- The color of the cushion and table is different thus provides visual cue for the desired side .
- Looks different in different assemblies .
Step 1: Dimensions of All Parts
Step 2: Materials Required
- One plywood sheet (16 mm) or any thickness between 14mm to 19mm .
- White paper
- Some nails
- A handheld CNC router
Step 3: Side Faces of the Mod Box
- Print out your design shape and paste it on plywood or simply draw it out , as per convenience .Printout would be better for accuracy.
- Cut out the design on plywood on all cut machine or using handheld CNC router.
*Keep in mind that right face is not same as the left face .The cutouts are in the opposite direction.
Step 4: Back Face of Mod Box
- Print and cut out the design just as we did for the side faces using handheld CNC router.
- Now we have our side faces and the back face ready.
Step 5: Base of the Mod Box
- Coming to the fourth piece , the base is a simple rectangular piece. Dimensions are provided above
- Add a groove by routing 5 mm deep and 16 mm wide right in the centre of the base.We would then make a small rectangular piece that would fit into that groove.The width of the piece can be half /quarter , according to your choice.
*This division would divide my base area into two storage compounds as well as it will act as a structural support when the seating piece slides in .
- Now we are ready with our 4 main parts ( Two side faces, Back face & a base ).
Step 6: Add Handles
- Leave a little margin from top on both the side faces and crop out two small rounded rectangular pieces using handheld CNC router .
- These cutouts would become the handles of the Mod box , incase you need to pick or drag it somewhere else.
Step 7: Figuring Out the Joints
I used rabbit joints to assemble my furniture together .
- Take the side faces and crop out 16 x 5 mm from the base edge ( inner base edge ) using router.
- Do the same with the inner edges of the side faces that come in contact with back face . Take reference from the pictures above.
Now our joints and parts are ready !
Step 8: Final Assembly
- Apply Fevicol where the parts join and and hammer them with screws or nails.
- Give fillet to all the edges of the Mod box using fillet router.
Step 9: Add Stoppers
| Quick step - Add two stoppers accordingly , starting from where the longer cutouts end halfway , i e where the seating will settle in, to avoid toppling of the seat when a person sits on it |
Step 10: Final Sliding Piece
| Again print , paste and then cut the piece out from plywood using all cut & handheld CNC router |
Step 11: Why Locking Extensions ?
| This is not a step |
Locking extensions are provided to the sliding modular piece so that it doesn't slip out or move in any wrong direction .
It also provides great structural support to all the pieces of the furniture . The furniture wont fall apart as these locking extensions hold the pieces against the direction of breaking apart.
Step 12: Test It Out
- Test the furniture out
- If the piece slides in and out easily
- Is the clearance good enough?
- Can you lift the piece ?
Step 13: Sand Sand & Sand
Sand the Mod box using a sanding machine or manually.Add chamfers if you like.
Step 14: Get It Painted
Step 15: Make a Cushion for the Seating
Make the cushion and fix it on the sliding piece.
Step 16: We Are Done !
We are done
- Let it all dry
- Keep your bag and other miscellaneous stuff in the storage compartments
- Sit back and relax , or sit upright and work
Step 17: Enjoy Your Own Personal Space
Step 18: Use It As a Table
Step 19: Use It As a Seating
'And thats a wrap.Feel free to make modifications to the Mod box the way you like .This is how i like it.'