Introduction: Making an Egg Salad Sandwich
Healthy eating is extremely important in supplying essential nutrients needed for the body to function correctly. A balanced diet can maintain body weight, mood, increase productivity, and help to increase life span.
The purpose of this instructable is to provide steps on how to prepare a cheap, quick meal that is well balanced and extremely good for the body.
Egg salad sandwiches are very light and are the perfect meal for any time of day. Eggs are very low in calories and are packed with needed protein. Low-fat greek yogurt will be used in place of traditionally used mayo to reduce the calories. Mustard provides calcium, potassium, and a variety of vitamins. Lastly, seasoning with crushed red pepper will help to increase metabolism.
The instructable will include steps on how to boil eggs and prepare the egg salad to complete the sandwich. The instructable will create about 3 servings worth of food depending on serving size preferences.
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup of plain greek style low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning
- 2 slices of wheat bread
Supplies and Appliances:
- Stove or hot plate
- Metal pot with lid
- Cutting knife
- Mixing spoon
- Mixing bowl
- 5 ice cubes (optional)
Skills Level Required:
Time and Cost:
- 35 minutes total
- $10 worth of ingredients for about 3 servings of food
Hot stoves and toasters can cause severe burns. Use cloth, like oven mitts, to handle the pot when on the hot stove. Do not touch hot stove burners. Do not stick fingers into the heated toaster.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
1. Put the eggs into the metal pot.
2. Fill the pot with water. Place the pot onto the stove and turn on heat to medium-high. Keep the pot on the hot stove until the water boils.
3. Once water is at a full boil, remove the pot from the heated stove. Place the pot on a unheated surface, preferably another stove burner that is not turned on.
4. Cover pot with the pot lid for 10 minutes.
5. After the 10 minutes, remove the lid and pour out only the water from the pot.
6. Refill the pot with cold water and add optional ice cubes into the water. Keep the eggs submerged in the cold water for 5 minutes.
7. After the 5 minutes, drain the water from the pot as in step 5.
8. Take one the eggs of out the pot. Gently hit the egg against the pot to crack the outer shell. Once cracked, peel off the outer hard shell and throw it away.
Eggs can either be placed back in the pot or on any other clean, hard surface. Repeat this step until all the eggs are peeled.
9. Using the cutting knife, cut the eggs into halves.
10. With the mixing spoon, scoop out the inner yellow yokes and place into the mixing bowl.
11. After all the yokes are in the mixing bowl, use the cutting knife to cut the egg whites into eighths. Once cut up, place the egg whites into the mixing bowl.
12. Add the 1/3 cup of yogurt, 1 tablespoon mustard, and 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning to the mixing bowl. Mix ingredients until they are all dispersed evenly. This mixture is now the egg salad.
13. Using the toaster, toast the two slices of bread.
14. After the bread is toasted, use either the mixing spoon or the cutting knife to spread the egg salad onto one of the toast slices. Place the other slice on top of the egg salad covered toast slice.
Step 15: Conclusive Information
The purpose of this recipe was to describe step by step how to prepare a fast, cheap, and highly nutritious meal. The unorthodox ingredients, like yogurt, were used to maximize nutritional value while maintaining traditional taste.
For further information about the food included in this recipe visit http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods. This website lists all the nutrients and components of any food item typed into the search box. Another great resource for healthy dinner recipes that aim to maximize great taste is http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy.html . The mayo clinic is famous for being an online medical encyclopedia for symptoms, diagnosis, and medical advice. Included in their medical advice is meal suggestions and recipes that can be found at http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes.