Intro: Quick Guilty Free Veggies Sandwich
A simple, yet super flavorful sandwich recipe made of roasted veggies and vegan chicken nuggets.
Roasted vegetables sandwich? When I heard that word, I was like nope definitely a no for me. Trust me. This sandwich is delicious, and the best part is that you will feel healthier and happier after eating this.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 medium size organic eggplant
- 3 organic zucchini
- 1 organic onion
- 1 organic tomato
- 2 Ciabatta breads/ or 1 loaf
- 1 pkg. of mozzarella cheese
(For the one below, these measurements are not exact, but they are there to help guide you)
- Olive oil (~ 2 tbsp)
- Mayonnaise (~ 2 tbsp), subs with vegan Mayo for a vegan sandwich version
- Salt and pepper (~ 2 tsp each)
I enjoyed eating organic vegetables because I believe in the phrase "you are what you eat." I used to hate eating vegetables, but since I started discovery Trader Joe, Rainbow Market in SF, and Nugget Farmer Market, my fridge has been constantly stocked with only fresh organic fruits and veggies. The organic fruits and veggies are delicious.
Step 2: Prepping Vegetables
Cut the eggplant into long strip of about ¼” thick. Sprinkle on some salt and then let it sit for at least 10–15 minutes. This process will help extract out the bitterness in the eggplant. If you are using Japanese eggplant, omit the salt step. To learn more about eggplants, check out my Vegan Thai Green Curry Recipe. Cut the zucchini into long strip of about ¼” thick, and onion and tomato to ¼” thick ring.
Step 3: Baking the Veggies
Place all the cut vegetables onto a baking sheet. Drizzle on with some olive oil. Sprinkle on some salts and black pepper. Bake the vegetables at 400F for 10–15 minutes or until all vegetables soften.
Step 4: Toasting the Bread
If you are using a ciabatta loaf, slice it into 1” thick slice. If you are using ciabatta bread, just slice it in half. Spread mayonnaise on both side of each slice. Toast the bread on a non-stick pan. Toast until lightly brown, but not burn. Flip the bread over and toast the other side. Place mozzarella cheese on top of 2 of the slices. Put a cover on the pan. This will help melt the cheese. Remove when the other side of the bread is lightly brown.
Step 5: Assembling the Sandwich
Assemble the sandwich. Place each vegetables on top of the sandwich. Close each sandwiches with the other toasted bread slices and enjoy. Super tasty, yet very healthy.
Step 6: Tips and Tricks
This recipe is too simple, I do not have that many tips and tricks for you. If you have any tips, leave me a comment below. I would love to hear and learn from you.
- Avoid over baking the vegetables. Perfectly cooked vegetables should be soft and have a crunch. It is like al dente pasta :). Over cooked vegetables are mushy.
- To add extra flavor to this sandwich, add some marinara sauce to the sandwich.
- Add some chicken nuggets to the sandwich for extra protein and crunch. If you are vegan/ vegetarian, use Chickenless chicken nuggets. The Trader Joe's old Chickenless crispy tenders, before they remake the new kind, and Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders are my favorite chicken nuggets. Funny enough, I prefer these vegan ones over the real one.
- Use the leftover roasted veggies to make a delicious salad.
- Make this into a wrap by substituting the mayo with hummus and the bread with tortilla!
For any additional tips check out the original post on my blog.