Repairing Crashed 3D Printed Biplane 10-300S

965

4

Intro: Repairing Crashed 3D Printed Biplane 10-300S

My previous instructable ended with photo of heavily damaged Biplane 10-300S. For those who don't know, here is link https://www.instructables.com/id/Biplane-10-300S/... . There is everything you need to know about building this plane. Just a quick intro: this whole plane was designed by me, all parts were printed on 3D printer (except wooden beams) and also it was built by me (and yes, also crash-tested by me). As shown on pictures, whole front was gone, so I told myself it was time to make little face-lift and give it a new look.

For this instructable you will need:

  • one crashed Biplane 10-300S (exactly as shown on the pictures)
  • 3D printer
  • wooden beams 5x5mm (about 1 meter long) and 3x3mm (not more than 2 metres)
  • some manual skill and glue (I prefer epoxy)

Step 1: Designinig the New Nose

First of all, there was problem of missing beams that were destroyed in crash, so there were added 3 ''massive'' wooden beams (5x5mm). Those beams are meant as a skeleton of new nose. The next problem I had to deal with, was lack of space to manipulate with battery. On the original nose there were small doors on the sides, and it was quite a fight to change battery. Now I have designed a ''gullwing'' doors, which give me much more space and they can be absolutely removed from the airplane.

I don't have a photo of all 3D printed parts because I was printing them right when I needed them. But don't worry, there is not many of them.

Step 2: Building Time

This will take some time, but if it is your hobby you really won't regret the time you spent with this model.

First of all, you have to place the 3 main beams. Make sure you have them in the right position, I would suggest adding also the nose sections in this step. It really helps finding the right angles of the beams.

Important thing about the doors. Don't get confused, it may look like those small beams are going all the way to the front but they don't. Only the 2 bottom beams are going up to the front, but the other ones don't. You have to stuck those small beams between the doors sections and glue them only to the parts that are going to be removable.

After making the doors, there are only easier things to do. You have to add the others small beams to the front and install motor.

At this time you are ready to start the coating.

Step 3: Coating the Nose

I started from the bottom part (as shown on the pictures) and then I moved to the side parts and finally to the top. You don't have to worry about the doors, because if you did it correct you will just cut them off when the coating is finished.

I did here some ''design coating'' (I mean those extra black parts that are ''opening'' the black color at the top right behind the motor cover). If you don't like it, there is no need to do them. I just like the way it looks.

Step 4: Finally, the Dream Comes True

I think that the facelifted version look much better, and also it is more practical. The opening section for changing battery is enormous, now it is no problem to change the battery.

Share

    Recommendations

    • Electronics Tips & Tricks Challenge

      Electronics Tips & Tricks Challenge
    • Audio Contest 2018

      Audio Contest 2018
    • Plastics Contest

      Plastics Contest

    Discussions