Have you had to replace or repair your mailbox because it was hit by a snow plow or side swiped by a vehicle? I had to replace the post and mailbox as well as repair my mailbox 4 times one year. But after I installed a Swivel Mailbox, I should not need to replace the mailbox for along while.
I live on a busy road and I want my family to be safe and not to step onto the road or arch around the front to retrieve the mail. If you look online you can find a few different models of swinging mailboxes, but I wanted one that could swivel… all the way around so that my family and I can stand as far away from the road as possible. Plus, if the mailbox is hit the box will not be knocked off the post but spin around. Follow these instructions to make your own Swivel Mailbox.
Next Materials and Tools
Step 1: Materials & Tools
1. 4” Lazy Susie Swivel Base,
2. 4 x 4 x 53 inch Pressure Treated Post,
3. Scrap lumber,
6. Spring and
7. Slide Bolt Latch.
2. Tape Measure,
3. Screw drivers and
Time to Complete:
30 – 45 min.
Step 2: Swivel
1. Measure and cut Scrap Lumber to use as mounting base of the Mailbox to the Post,
2. Screw base to Mailbox,
3. Place the Mailbox 6" to 8" back from the curb; 41" to 45" above ground level and the Post buried more than 24" deep (USPS Mailbox Guidelines http://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm),
4. Attach Lazy Susie to the 4 x 4 Post and
5. Attach the Lazy Susie to the Mailbox base.
Step 3: Spring
Attach the Spring to the Post and Mailbox so the Mailbox door returns to face the street.
1. Secure 1 end of the Spring to the back of the Mailbox base.
2. Slide the Spring through the Slide Bolt Latch and secure it to the Post.
3. Pull the Spring taunt and secure the end to the Post.
Next Observations and Summary
Step 4: Observations & Summary
Here are some benefits to a Swivel Mailbox:
1. Keep family away from the street while retrieving mail.
2. Mailbox swivels when hit by snow, snow plow or passing vehicle so the energy of the impact is released instead of being absorbed. The need to replace the whole mailbox and / or post is reduced.
Update: 6/18/2016 during the evaluation stage, someone sideswiped the mailbox and broke the hinges and the door fell off, but the mailbox did what it was designed to do, swivel to release the force of the impact. Success!
I am satisfied with the results
- Then I saw, and considered it well. I looked upon it, and received instruction..