I've just about finished Mark4 of this build. Sadly, the way it was designed it won't be 3d printable, but I'll leave Mark3 up so people can still print their own if they'd like.
The entire thing was redesigned from scratch, including new transformations and tighter details. LEDs will be included in the head, chest, and canon for a nice glowing effect.
There are a few errors in the rendered picture, but I've got a few days to work those out. Just wanted to get this out there in case anyone saw any major errors or thought I could improve it in places. I'm open to any ideas!
Once I have things finished and in hand I'll update this instructable and lay things out in a more organized fashion. This is a bit of a mess right now.
Updates are regularly posted on TFW2005 and Twitter.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Design:
I started the design with clay, but I can't find any pictures of that I'm afraid.
Once I had the basic idea of what I wanted, I found some blueprints of the 11th Doctors Tardis and got to work recreating it. I wanted it to be a show accurate as possible. Then I printed out a 20mm vertion of it and cut it and worked with the clay again to make sure all my ideas would actually work.
Then came blocking out the basic shapes to get a feel for how things would look and be positioned. As you can see in the pictures the design originally started a bit differently. I had to make sacrifices to certain aspects of things in order to make sure I had clearance to make him transform.
Step 2: Printing/Assembly
Updated 7/11/2013 for Mark3 design:
I've included the STL files of the Mach3 design. If you use these anywhere please be sure to link back here and give proper credit.
The files are organized by color, but you can print them any which way you want. I just have blues and whites and different folders so it would be easier to print them out.
To print I first sliced with Kisslicer with these settings:
Extrusion Width .35
Infill Extrusion .3
Layer Thinkness .25
I used a .35mm nozzle with 3mm filament for Mark2. Both .5mm (for Mark1) and .35mm worked fine, but I got better holes from the smaller nozzle.
You're going to need support, and lots of it!
I had mine set at Dense with a 1mm inflate.
I started using a raft with Mark2 to get rid of any chance of warping on the larger pieces. 6mm outset.
This is a LONG print. You're looking at around 30 hours (with the .35mm tip) all in all. But putting everything together is a snap, with only a small screw to hold the head together, everything else is printed.
The joint holes are larger in this version (2.5mm) and all the joints are beefier. I just used red 2.78mm nylon filament to hold things together and it gives a nice solid joint. The ball joints are just press fit.
To paint it, I used testors enamel with some spray lacquer to clear and protect the paint.
For the decals I just printed out the graphics I wanted and sliced them to right sized and glued them on. If I were to do it again I'd clear over them I think, and still may.
Step 3: Transforming!
Wanted to show how he actually transformed, but the pictures were hard to tell anything being he's printed in white right now. So I did it digitally.
Fold the back down, fold the panels in.
Pull the arms out.
Pull the legs down, and fold the tardis panel over the back of the leg.
Twist the torso around and slide down the hips.
Slide up the head and turn it around.
Finish folding the backpack up into his back.
First Prize in the
3D Printing Contest
Second Prize in the
Participated in the
Epilog Challenge V