Introduction: The Art of Wearing a Saree
A saree is a traditional Indian costume worn by women and girls. You have probably seen one if you have ever watched a Bollywood movie. The saree is a long cloth, from four to nine yards in length, that is draped on the body in various styles. My instructable shows and explains the process of draping the saree in the South Indian style and will help you to learn the basic steps of easy saree tying.
This is my first instructable and I am dedicating this to friends all over the world who are amazed by what the wonders this yards-long piece of cloth can make. This is also for the women out there who don’t know much about sarees but are impressed by the sight of celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Elizabeth Hurley, Jessica Alba (The Love Guru), Katherine Heigl (27 Dresses) and Maria Sharapova in saree. If you want to know how it’s done you are at the right page!
Wearing a saree is not just about draping the fabric; you will look even more stunning in a saree if you add the right makeup and accessories. That is why I’m including tips on how to use these enhancements to perfect the look.
Saree-wearing does not require any special skills. You just have to follow these steps. With the help of a friend these steps should take you less than 12 minutes, even if you’re a beginner.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Prepare the Materials
To look completely stunning in a saree, you will need:
• A saree blouse
• A long petticoat or an inner skirt
• The saree
• Beautiful shoes
• Decorative hair accessories
• Bobby pins
• Safety pins
• Stick-on decorative bindis
Step 2: The Basic of Saree
1. First, wear the saree blouse and make sure it fits you perfectly and the blouse ends just below your bust.
2. Put on a petticoat along with the blouse. A petticoat is important, due to the fact that there are saree with fabrics that are transparent. The color of the petticoat should match that of the saree.
3. Pick the shoes that you want to wear with the saree. Shoes with colors and designs will add beauty to your appearance.
• Design your own saree blouse according to your creativity. It can vary from being sleeveless to long sleeves.
• It is a good idea to balance the long fabric with high heel shoes. Sandals and boots should be avoided at any cost.
The petticoat needs to be tied very tightly using a drawstring. Otherwise, it would mess up the pleats and fabrics tucked inside.
Step 3: Starting With the Saree
1. Make a knot on the top corner of the plain end of the saree and tuck the knot into the left side of the petticoat. Make sure the embroideries on the saree are facing out.
2. Make a complete turn from the right to left. The lower end of the saree should be slightly above the floor.
3. Tuck in the fabric around the waist into the petticoat neatly.
If you are a beginner, make sure the bottom of the saree shows only your toes. Tying a saree that exposes your ankles will make you look less elegant. On the other hand, letting the bottom of the saree reach the floor could result in you tripping over it.
Step 4: Making the Pleats
1. With the extra fabric hanging from the tucked area, hold the saree tightly at one side with your thumbs and pinky finger.
2. Stretch the fabric until you can hold it in between your index and middle fingers which will be about 4 inches wide.
3. Pleat the fabric by winding the cloth from your thumb to your index finger. Make about 6 to 8 pleats.
4. Tuck the pleats into the petticoat while making sure the pleated sides fall right below your navel.
5. Hold the pleats of fabric up and adjust them until they are even and straight.
Secure your pleats using a safety pin so that they do not move away from each other.
Step 5: Drape It On
1. Take the extra saree and make another complete round from right to left.
2. Get hold of the decorative end of the saree (pallu) and pleat the top edges of the pallu.
3. Adjust the pleats until they are even and raise the pleated pallu. Bring it under your right arm and place it over your left shoulder.
4. Let the end of the saree fall below your knees.
5. You can even unfold the pleats and drape the pallu over the shoulder if you want the pallu to fall elegantly over your arm.
6. Secure the pallu with a safety pin from the inside of the blouse and then you are as beautiful as a star!
Adorn the saree with a beautiful brooch and you will look classy.
Be careful while using the safety pins as they can you can prick your finger. It is advisable to ask for help from a friend.
Step 6: Style Your Hair
1. Style your hair according to your preference. Braids are always a perfect choice as it goes very well with Indian traditional costumes.
2. Pin any short hairs using bobby pins and add any other beautiful decorative hair clips to beautify your hair.
Step 7: Make Up & Accessories
1. Every woman knows that a perfect look requires finishing touches such as make up; proper foundation, loose powder, concealer, eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, and appropriate lipstick depending on the occasion.
2. Add a decorative bindi (small sticker dot) of your choice on your forehead.
3. Pick your favorite earrings that match the saree.
4. Adorn your hands with bangles and bracelets.
Henna tattoos (temporary body art) always complete a traditional Indian look. If you have a friend who is good at drawing, get one on your hand.
Step 8: Get One for Yourself!
Finally, when you look as gorgeous as a princess, you are now all set to attend a function. Let everybody get enchanted by your stunning appearance in saree and you will be in the limelight! For sure, there will be so many handsome guys who will find you irresistible.
And now, are you really excited to drape a saree but you don't own one? No worries at all as you can buy a saree here for a very reasonable price.
Tanas Saree Online Purchase Site
Kindly leave your feedback/comments. They are much appreciated.