Introduction: The Pee Battery
Use your urine to make electricity! With the pee battery you can make enough energy to power a small electric motor. It is quite an easy project without the use of dangerous chemicals! All you need is
Following tools are handy for this instructable:
- steel wool
- can opener
- electric drill
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Open the Can
- Remove the top of the aluminum can. Use a can opener.
Step 2: Remove the Coating Inside the Can
- Cans have a coating inside. You need to remove it.
- The easiest way is to scrub it using steel wool.
- By using an electric drill you can get this job done faster.
Step 3: Set the Battery Up
- First, add urine to the can. The urine will act as electrolyte.
- Second, add vinegar to the can. The vinegar will boost the voltage as it adds more acid to the electrolyte of this battery.
- Third, put a piece of copper in the electrolyte. Connect it with a crocodile clip.
- Finally, connect a second crocodile clip to the can. Make sure it touches the inside of the can.
Step 4: Power a Small Electric Motor!
- The aluminum of the can is the cathode, which is the negative terminal.
- The piece of copper is the anode, which is the positive terminal.
- The urine in the can is the electrolyte.
- Now chemical reactions inside the can create opposite charges on the copper and aluminium can, but the urine prevents the charge from flowing.
- If you connect a motor to both crocodile clips, the charge flows through and powers the electric motor!
I hope you have enjoyed my instructable!