Have extra grocery bags laying around? Are you interested in fashion? Here's a step-by-step on how to turn your plastic trash into a fashionable dress! We are high school students and we will teach you a simple way to turn your TRASH INTO TREASURE!
Materials: 3 white trash bags, 2 clear trash bags, 10 grey plastic bags (grocery bags), old jewelry, old beads, old springs, fabric glue, hot glue, scissors
Step 1: Making the Base
- Cut bottom of white trash bag off
- Put it around the manikin, singed part at the top and tie it tight (this will be the base for the dress)
- Staple the extra material in the back to make the dress tight
- Repeat for a second layer to make it more sturdy
Step 2: Adding Layers
- Repeat step one with a clear trash bag to finish off the base
*This step is optional, but helps to bring the base together by flattening wrinkles, and covering the yellow coloring of the singed top*
Step 3: Adding Cross Neckline
- To make the neck line, take another clear trash bag,
- Connect the two ends together and staple together (top of trash bag to bottom of trash bag)
- Put stapled trash bag around bust
- Twist into infinity loop
- Put front loop over the head, around the neck
- This should create a cross in front for the neck line
Step 4: Cutting Fringe
- Take your grey plastic bag and a pair of scissors
- Cut fringe out of bags that are about 3-4 inches long
- The fringed should be cut in the shape of a tall, thin isosceles triangle with a pointy tip
- You will need A LOT of these to create layers of fringe on your dress
- Avoid cutting out words, you want to make sure all of the fringe is solid grey
Step 5: Connecting Fringe
- Take fabric glue and apply it to the top end of the fringe pieces
- Attach fringe to dress starting at the bottom
- Put each row close together (the rows should cover entire front half of the dress)
- Fill up entire front of the dress with fringe except for the white cross neck line
Step 6: Adding Design
- Take old jewelry and get creative!
- This is an example of the decoration we added to the neck line with a combination of old jewelry, beads, and springs
- We attached our design to the dress with hot glue
- You can add any design you desire
Step 7: Finishing Touches
- Take a step back and examine your dress
- Are there places that need more fringe? Any falling off jewelry? Anything that needs to be glued down or cut off?
- If not, enjoy your dress and be proud of all your hard work!
- Congratulations! To transfer it to someone body, cut straight down the back and staple it together on the person. You turned plastic into fashion, you turned TRASH INTO TREASURE!
This is an entry in the
Trash to Treasure