I like to cook, and I like to hike, so naturally I like to cook while I hike. In order to make some interesting and tasty meals on the trail, I put together a small spice kit. I decided to make my own kit mainly because I could not find anything i liked available commercially. That and it was super easy and cheep to do.
Just as a side note, some of my favorite trail recipes are available at: trailcooking.com
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Materials
Here is a list of what you will need to make this kit:
1. 1 pack of m&m's minis
Not only is this a great container for the kit, but you get a snack while you make it.
2. 8 large straws
I like straws from Jack in the box, they are very durable and slightly larger than typical. You can use smaller straws and get more variety in your kit, or you could use bubble tea straws if you want a lot of something.
3. Scotch tape
4. White colored tape for labeling.
I used medical tape i had in my first-aid kit. If you have a label maker that would be great too.
Step 2: Mark & Cut the Straws
2. Cut on the marks.
You should end up with the following:
- 1x 4.5" piece
- 1x 0.5" piece
- 1x 1.0" piece
Step 3: Assemble the Packets
To assemble the packets:
1. Fold back a 1/4" at the end of the longest piece
2. Pinch this section and fully insert it in to the 1" piece of cut straw. (this will be the lid of the packet)
3. Repeat steps 1&2 on the other end, and use the 0.5" piece of cut straw.
4. Tape the end with the short piece of straw in place. (this will be the bottom of the packet)
Step 4: Pick Spices, Fill and Lable Packets
- Lemon Pepper (excellent for fish if happen to be hiking near a lake or river)
- Cajun Spice Blend
- Ground Cumin
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
Participated in the
chabias made it!