In this project I will show you an efficient and common way how to control the speed of motor & I will also demonstrate how easy it can be to build a Variable Motor Speed Controller with the help of an IC 555. Let's get started!
Step 1: Gather Your Components
- IC - NE555 x 1
- POWER MOSFET - IRFZ44N x 1
- CAPACITOR - 1000uF 16V x 1, 100nF x 1, 10nF x 1, 47nF x 2
- RESISTOR - 1kΩ x 3, 10kΩ x 1, 50kΩ Potentiometer x 1
- 2 pin header connector with female connector x 2
- 8 Pin IC socket x 1
- Heatsink (for Mosfet) & screw x 1
- Veroboard or copper clad board x 1
- Knob [for potentiometer]
Step 2: Build the Circuit!
Here you can find the schematic design you can download it , then solder the all components on board. Here are some pictures to help you in building the project.
This depends on which type of design you would like to do either on vero board or on a copper clad board & if you would like building the project on copper board then follow the next steps
Step 3: Designing the Layout on PCB
- Firstly download the design, both top & the bottom design
- Take the print on OHP sheet on a laser printer
- Take a copper board
- Transfer the development on the board by ironing to transfer ink on PCB
Step 4: Etching the PCB
Etch the PCB with chemical which you use and what method you prefer or use other method to Etch the PCB
click the link
!! CAUTION !!
Chemicals are hazardous
- Wear proper eye goggles for EYE PROTECTION !!
- Wear hand gloves Always !! Don't touch the chemicals with your bare hands !!
- Wear mask for covering your face
Step 5: Drilling the PCB & Soldering
- Drilling the holes on the PCB, where components are to be mounted ,most of us like to do
- Mount the Components on PCB neatly
- Then solder them
Step 6: Powering the Circuit!
Finally test it by Powering the Circuit
Before that check for short circuit and proper wiring and polarity for VCC & ground
Step 7: Success
Add a load as a motor vary the potentiometer for what speed you want this is for small loads not for heavy power loads. You can fix this in small drill press machines , on which I am working, will be my next instructable.
You created your own Variable Motor Speed Controller which is small and handy
This is an entry in the
Pocket Sized Contest