The folks at Xtracycle http://www.xtracycle.com/sell a marvelous add on kit that turns an ordinary bike into a super cargo carrier. The Xtracycle (especially with an add on electric assist) can transport kids, kayaks, and kegs http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/. It can also be modified as a stationary power generator and stationary smoothie maker https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-create-a-human-powered-bike-blender-for-les/ and http://www.rockthebike.com/fender-blender-xtracycle/ .
First go stationary - if money is no issue
Xtracycle sells a $150 kickback or a $350 rolling jackass centerstand http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/xtracycle-cargo-accessories/kick-stands.html . Both are probably great but a bit over my desired price range.
For the rest
Home Depot sells 10 ft section of 3/4" (inside diameter) steel electrical conduit pipe for $4.05. The old style quill stems are a perfect fit for the Xtracycle center tube and the result is an easy on/off rock solid platform stand.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts and Layout
Quantity 1 - Steel electrical conduit 10 ft x 3/4" (inside diameter) ($4.05 - Home Depot / Lowes)
Quantity 2 - Steel quill 1" bike stem (used preferable) but available new at Amazon or Niagra Cycle Works
http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Steel-Quill-25-4mm-Chrome/dp/B000A6K6MG/ref=sr_1_21?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1335718293&sr=1-21 ($5.40 each)
Quantity 4 - Rubber chair leg tips 7/8" package of 4 - ($1.79 Home Depot)
3/4" Conduit Bending tool
1) Layout your design size on paper
2) Cut two 3 foot sections of pipe
3) Mount each quill stem to the center of the pipe
Step 2: Bend and Measure to Height
1) Bend the pipe to the desired shape.
2) Check the height on the Xtracycle - Insure the rear wheel is lifted.
Step 3: Trim and Cap
1) Use the hacksaw to trim each end to fit.
2) Attach the rubber end caps
3) Tighten the quill stem to the conduit pipe. Use a piece of shim (aluminum roof flashing works well) if necessary. Drill and insert a screw through the quill / conduit to keep the pipe from twisting.
Step 4: Mount to Xtracycle Bike
1) Push the quills into the Xtracycle center tube
2) Tighten the quill center
Participated in the