Tell us about yourself!

Complete Your Profile
  • Solar Powered WiFi Weather Station V2.0

    I ported the code linked here and 3KUdelta's code to MicroPython. It can be accessed at:https://github.com/truckershitch/Solar_WiFi_Weathe...Everything worked well until a big storm hit and the enclosure let in rain. You may have to compile the modules statically into the firmware, but this may not be necessary. That's a whole different subject; some information can be found on the MicroPython GitHub pages. I did so to help with the free memory.The rain damaged the weather station. I dried it out for a few days and then started it back up. I noticed that the power draw increased. I think that the TP4056 is damaged as it doesn't light up when in sunlight anymore.I'm planning on building a second station and sticking the whole thing in a 3 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut out. ...

    see more »

    I ported the code linked here and 3KUdelta's code to MicroPython. It can be accessed at:https://github.com/truckershitch/Solar_WiFi_Weathe...Everything worked well until a big storm hit and the enclosure let in rain. You may have to compile the modules statically into the firmware, but this may not be necessary. That's a whole different subject; some information can be found on the MicroPython GitHub pages. I did so to help with the free memory.The rain damaged the weather station. I dried it out for a few days and then started it back up. I noticed that the power draw increased. I think that the TP4056 is damaged as it doesn't light up when in sunlight anymore.I'm planning on building a second station and sticking the whole thing in a 3 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut out. I'm not sure what else to do because we have heavy rainfall where I live and all three of these cases have failed to keep out the water. I guess the recorded temperatures will be higher. If I punch holes in the 3 liter bottle, it could let in the rain.Suggestions anyone?

    View Instructable »
  • Solar Powered WiFi Weather Station V2.0

    I finished this project yesterday. Most everything went smoothly except for the voltage monitoring.I am getting 5.28 V every single reading. The raw value must be 1024. I looked at the data that came in overnight on Thingspeak and it was 5.28 V every single reading. When I had the Wemos on my breadboard with just the sensor, I was getting floating readings for voltage from 0.02 V to 0.07 V. I take it to mean that A0's wires on the Wemos itself are not crossed.I inspected the main circuit board for solder bridges near A0, namely RST and D0. I think if there was a bridge to RST I would have a lot of problems, but maybe D0 is the culprit. I could not see a bridge this morning.Oh and there is 220k resistor as you specified. Before soldering it, I made sure that it was the right val...

    see more »

    I finished this project yesterday. Most everything went smoothly except for the voltage monitoring.I am getting 5.28 V every single reading. The raw value must be 1024. I looked at the data that came in overnight on Thingspeak and it was 5.28 V every single reading. When I had the Wemos on my breadboard with just the sensor, I was getting floating readings for voltage from 0.02 V to 0.07 V. I take it to mean that A0's wires on the Wemos itself are not crossed.I inspected the main circuit board for solder bridges near A0, namely RST and D0. I think if there was a bridge to RST I would have a lot of problems, but maybe D0 is the culprit. I could not see a bridge this morning.Oh and there is 220k resistor as you specified. Before soldering it, I made sure that it was the right value with the color codes. I did not, however, test it with a multimeter. I'll try that next but I expect it's fine.Suggestions are most welcome! I'm not the best with electronics.Oh, I also ported this to MicroPython. I haven't put it on GitHub yet but that is the plan -- I want to clean up the cruft first. I added MQTT and it listens for a 'pause' event so the code will stop and the system can be modified.Thanks!

    View Instructable »