Introduction: 2 Simple Decorations for Halloween
This year, given no access to shops for Halloween costumes or decorations, I wanted to make simple crafts with Halloween vibes to display on my desk by myself. Considering that I don’t have many materials for craft use at home, I came up with two simple crafts that could be made out of the least materials shortly, which are:
- Mummy Mug
- Paper Pumpkin
Craft 1: Mummy Mug
- White-colored mug
- Worn-out t-shirt
- Permanent marker
Craft 2: Paper Pumpkin Decoration
- Orange and green colored papers - I used 16cm x 16cm sized papers, but the size does not matter
- Paper glue
- Marker or pen
Step 1: Making the Mummy Mug
- First, I gathered all the materials and tools I needed.
- Using scissors, I cut the worn-out white t-shirt into many strips.
- When doing so, I made cuts through the sewing line at the bottom with a scissor, but then just ripped the cloth into strips by had to ensure that they looked rough and different in lengths and sizes.
- I attached the strips of cloth on to the mug. I first taped one end with transparent tape and surrounded the mug. When taping the other end, I hid it under the other strip so that the tape would not be seen externally. At about ¾ point from the bottom, I did not attach a strip to draw the eyes of the mummy.
- Finally, I drew the eyes of the mummy with a permanent marker.
Step 2: Making the Paper Pumpkin
- First, I gathered all the materials I needed for making the paper pumpkin.
- I folded the square sized orange origami paper into eight pieces with equal widths and lengths. Using scissors, I cut the paper into eight pieces following the fold lines.
- Then, I arranged the pieces of cut paper into star formation and glued them together using the paper glue. To make sure that they are glued well together, I clipped the part with a wood clip.
- When the strips were finely glued, I stapled the center (the part when all the strips are glued) and drew a pumpkin faced at two strips next to each other.
- I gathered opposite ends of each strip and stabled them on the other side, forming an oval-shaped sphere.
- Finally, I cut the leaves out of the green origami paper and attached and glued them at the top of the paper pumpkin.
Step 3: Done!
The mummy mug is a good use for many purposes, especially as a pencil holder on a desk. The paper pumpkin is used to place my AirPods case in. But it could be used for keeping other stuff as well through its openings, like chocolates!
Participated in the