Introduction: 20-Minute Hygiene for Littles!
Thinking about the guidelines that everyone must follow, and how difficult handwashing is for our littles, I decided to create a device that will time handwashing. Many times, our littles simply dab soap, run under the water for a second, then dry their hands on the back of their pants!
I am hoping by consistently using this device a few times, our littles will create "muscle" memory for handwashing.
Step 1: Switch
I began by making a switch.
- My switch is two small pieces of cardboard with foil glued to the insides.
- I then glued a cotton ball to one piece of the cardboard on the foil side.
- I put the two pieces together and secured them with a rubber band.
Step 2: Scratch
- Use the "When SPACE key is pressed" event block
- Then add start sound.
- Press record
- start video track, let play for 20 seconds, then say, "Please turn the water off"
- Click in the title, and name 20-second timer
- Click on the down arrow, and choose the 20-second timer
Step 3: Connecting to the Makey-Makey Board
Connect Earth to one side of the switch, and SPACE to the other side of the switch.
Step 4: Final Step
When everything is connected, turn on the water faucet. Students will need to watch the video prior to using this device.