Introduction: 3.14 Pie
Let's make π Pie :)
Step 1: Ingredients and Implements
Why is it the π Pie you may ask? Well, because for this pie you will need :
- 3 different colored veggies ( I used sweet potato, purple sweet potato and green zucchini). Heirloom carrot will do the trick too. Alternatively, using eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes will make a nice colorful pie.
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- 4 ingredients for filling: goat cheese ~ 200 g (1/2 lb), an egg, approximately 2 cups of shredded cheese (such as gouda or swiss cheese) and your favorite spice mix. It so happened that my goat cheese already had spices mixed in.
- So 3, 1, and 4 = π !
You will also need:
- Olive oil.
- A silicone brush.
- A mandolin slicer or veggie peeler.
- A cutting board.
- A fork, spoon, and knife.
- 1 deep bowl and 3 plates.
- An oven.
Step 2: Pie Shell
I used a store bought deep pie shell and followed the manufacturer's instructions.
Or you may use this Instructable to make your own pie crust.
Step 3: Prep Your Veggies
Wash veggies. Skin sweet potatoes. Finely slice using a mandolin slicer, veggie peeler or knife (although the latter is only for true professionals, which I am not. So, it is the mandolin for me). Don't mix colors or they may dye each other! I found that putting sweet potatoes into a microwave for 1 min make the slices more malleable and easy to roll.
Step 4: Prep Filling
Mix the goat cheese, the egg, the shredded cheese, and the spices of your choice very well. The consistency of the filling should not be extremely thick and not too thin or it will not hold the veggies well. My goat cheese happened to be on the dry side so I added a couple of tablespoons of sour cream to thin the filling a little bit.
Step 5: Pie Assembly
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Put the filling into the shell. Take a veggie slice, roll it into a tube and push it into the pie filling. Repeat alternating colors for a pretty result until you fill the whole pie shell.
Step 6: Oil and Bake
Salt the top of your pie lightly and apply some olive oil using a silicone brush.
Bake for 50 min - 1 hour.
Step 7: Enjoy Π Pie
Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature before slicing. Serve and enjoy as side dish or on its own.
Step 8: Little Tip
You probably will have some odds and ends of leftover veggies which are too thick to roll . Don't throw them away! Chop them into pieces, put them in an airtight container and freeze. Next time you are making veggie soup add them straight from freezer while cooking.
Waste not, want not!
Participated in the