Introduction: 3D Printed USB Light Cubes
I purchased these USB light modules on eBay, but the light from the LEDs were too bright and focused so I came up with this design, which allows the light to be diffused around the cube. Creating this really awesome USB light cubes.
Step 1: Setup and List of Materials
- Mini USB LED Lamp Module - I got the light with the touch module on the back for $1 on ebay
- 3D printer (Obviously)
- Your favorite CAD software ( I am using Solidworks)
Link to Parts (Affiliate Links)
- Lamp Module - https://goo.gl/8nnYfb
- 3D Printer, I am using a flashforge Finder - https://goo.gl/FUjJrN
- Clear Filament - https://goo.gl/MRPF5t
- Wooden Filament - https://goo.gl/gSd47T
Step 2: Making the Case
Measure your USB light module and start creating the little housing that will hold the module, I usually leave about 0.3 - 0.4mm extra on all sides but depending on your printer you will have different tolerances.
Step 3: USB Module Holder
Finish of the USB module holder, I have decided to make mine 40 x 40 x 40mm cube, but you can choose any size and shape.
- I usually don't like using glue when combining multiple 3D printed parts, so I offset the parts so that they click into each other when printed. If you don't want to do this you can always glue the parts together.
Step 4: The Other Half of the Cube
I also added another lip on the transparent part of the cube, as you can see in the pictures this will allow the 2 parts to come together and attach without any glue.
Step 5: STL Files and the Final Design
I have uploaded the STL files of the parts that I created, I have also created a small video of the whole design process.