Introduction: ATLA's Air Nomad Fruit Pie
I decided to bake a dessert from one of my favorite TV show, “Avatar: The Last Airbender”. The dessert I’ll be cooking is called “Fruit Pies”, which is a desert made by the Air Nomads. This dessert makes an appearance in the 2nd episode when Aang is recalling his time with his teacher/caretaker, Monk Gyatso.
I’ll be following the recipe from the article, Air Nomad Fruit Pies | Avatar: The Last Airbender Recipes. I’ll only be making strawberry and blueberry pies because those are some of my personal favorite fruits out of the four fruit choices in the article.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 8 ozs cream cheese that’s room temperature
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 premade pie crust set at room temperature
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsps. blueberry puree (or pie filling for a substitute)
- 4 tbsps. strawberry puree (or pie filling for a substitute)
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream or just normal whipping cream (Optional ingredient, this’ll be used for the topping
- 4 strawberries (optional, I’ll be adding these to the top as well)
- 4 blueberries (optional, I’ll be adding these to the top as well)
- Food dye (Optional)
Step 2: Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Grease each ramekin/pie pan/etc with some cooking spray and cut the premade pie crust so it’ll fit within each, about ½ way up the sides of the dish.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Then blend in your yolks until smooth. Now divide your pie base into 4 equal portions, then whisk in one of each of the fruit purees into each pie portion.
- Pour the filling into each dish until just it reaches the top of the pie crusts. Place the pies into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the centers just wobble slightly when it’s shifted. Turn off the heat and let your oven cool down without moving the pies for an additional 20 minutes.
- Put the pies into the refrigerator so they can chill, for about 1 hour or overnight.
- (Optional step) Mix the heavy/normal cream with food dye for each fruit, like blue for blueberry. Add the cream to the top of your pies.
- Now enjoy the delicious Air Nomad fruit pie
Step 3: Additional Steps/information
How to make puree.
- Have bowl filled with the desired fruit and you can use as many fruit as you want or need.
- Add sugar on top of the fruits until there all covered.
- If you have a blender blend the fruit and sugar together
- If you don't have a blender you can just use the microwave by putting the microwave safe bowl with the fruit and sugar and put it in their starting at 10 seconds
- After 10 seconds take the bowl out and mix
- Repeat as many times as you need until you get a thick puree texture