Introduction: Aloo Saag (Potato Spinach Curry)
Saag is an Indian dish typically made with spinach or other leafy greens. Onions, garlic, and various other spices are used. Saag is easy to prepare and cook. Besides tasting delicious, saag has the added benefit of being very nutritious.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 3 large garlic cloves - diced
- 2 red potatoes - peeled & chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1/2 medium tomato - diced
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Bag of frozen spinach (or fresh)
- 3 tablespoons of diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne pepper - to taste.
Step 2: Cook the Onions and Garlic
First, heat the oil on medium high until hot. Add the diced onions and cook until it slightly changes color. Add the ginger, and garlic, stirring frequently until everything turns slightly brown.
Step 3: Add the Tomato
Reduce the heat to medium low, and add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, until they are fully cooked, and soft.
Step 4: Add the Spices
Next, add the spices, stirring frequently, until thickened. Add cayenne pepper to your liking.
Step 5: Potatoes and Spinach
Lastly, increase the heat to medium, and add the potatoes and spinach. Mix, and then cover, occasionally stirring. Cook until the potatoes are cooked, and a fork easily pierces it. Remove from heat, and serve with roti, naan, or rice.
Participated in the
Potato Speed Challenge