Introduction: Amazing Homemade Pumpkin Pie
In this Instructable, I am going to show you how to make pumpkin pie. This easy amazing homemade pumpkin pie recipe is sure to impress your pumpkin pie loving friends and family. A perfect pie for the holiday season or any time you have a craving. Pumpkin pies aren't hard to make. If I can do it, you can do it. Let's get baking! :)
Don't forget to follow me and check out my other Instructables. :)
Follow the easy steps below or watch the video tutorial, or do both! :)
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
You can print the recipe here if you like.
- 1 9" pie crust either homemade or storebought
- 3 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 1 large egg
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz. 396 g)
- 1 can of pumpkin/puree (15 oz. 425g)
- 2 Tbsp. white granulated sugar (optional) (30g)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark) (60g)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (4g)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves (1g)
- 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg (1g)
- 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger (1g)
- 1/4 tsp. of salt (1g)
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- OR use 1 tsp. of pumpkin spice and only 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon (instead of the nutmeg, ginger, and cloves)
- Whipped cream for topping
- Ground cinnamon for dusting
- Parchment paper
- Beans or pie weights
- 9" pie pan
- Sheet pan
- Aluminum foil
The above pie weights link is an Affiliate Link. As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Step 2: Pie Crust
Begin with the pie crust. You can use a homemade pie crust if you like or a storebought one. If you use a homemade one, place it in a 9-inch pie plate. Then put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C.
If you are using a premade pie crust that is frozen, just take it out of the freezer while the oven preheats. If you have a pie crust that has already been chilling in the fridge, once the oven is preheated, remove the pie crust unroll it and place it on the pie plate.
Place a piece of parchment paper in the empty pie crust and then use pie weights or uncooked beans to weigh down the parchment paper. This will help the crust keep its shape, and not puff up on the bottom while we blind bake it.
Tip: I like to put the pie plate on a sheet pan, so it is easier to remove from the oven, instead of having to grab the plate itself.
Now bake the pie crust for 15 minutes on the middle rack. Once done lift up the parchment paper with the beans or weights and remove it, and then put the empty crust back in the oven for another 15 minutes, until the crust is slightly golden brown. You may want to cover the edges of the pie with foil, to prevent over-browning.
Remove it and allow it to cool for a bit while you make the Pumpkin Pie filling.
Step 3: Pumpkin Pie Filling
Time to make the pumpkin pie filling. Add 3 yolks for large eggs to a large bowl, along with 1 full egg. Save the 3 egg whites and make an omelet or something with them. I have an omelet Instructable if you want to check that out.
Whisk up those eggs, then add in the sweetened condensed milk, canned pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and vanilla extract.
Tip: You can also just use 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice instead of using ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. If you do, only use 1/2 tsp extra cinnamon.
Use a whisk or hand mixer to whisk those ingredients together. The pumpkin pie filling is done!
Don't want to use canned pumpkin? That's okay you can make it from fresh pumpkin following these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
- Wash and dry the pumpkin.
- Then cut it in half and remove the seeds and the stingy pulp.
- Discard the pumpkin seeds or you can make roasted pumpkin seeds if you like.
- Brush the pumpkin halves with vegetable or olive oil, or any other oil, and place them in a roasting pan.
- Add about a cup or so of water in the pan. The steam from the water will help it cook evenly as well as help to keep it from drying out.
- Bake the pumpkin halves in the oven until soft when poked with a fork, this will take 75 to 90 minutes or so.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool until you can touch them. Scoop out the flesh leaving the skin behind. Add the flesh to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. If it is too watery, drain some of the water.
- Now you can use it for any recipe that calls for canned pumpkin.
Step 4: Bake That Pumpkin Pie!
Now pour the pumpkin pie filling into the pie crust. Give it a slight giggle, to let any bubbles settle. If the sheet pan is still hot make sure to use oven mitts. Turn the heat down to 325 F/162 C. Then bake the pie in the oven, middle rack position, for 45 to 55 minutes.
After about 20 minutes check in the oven and look at the edges of the pie crust, if they are getting too brown, you can put foil around the edges to protect them.
Bake the pie until it is dry around the outside and only a slight jiggle in the middle. Let it cool for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature so it sets completely.
Step 5: Serve That Pie!
Once the pie has set you can cut into it.
Tip: A neat trick that you can do to get a nice clean cut, is to heat the knife with hot water, then wipe the water off, and then make your cuts. Exactly like we might do with cheesecake. This keeps the pumpkin pie filling from sticking to the side of the knife when cutting.
Top that pie off with some whipped cream, and sprinkle on some ground cinnamon if you like. Enjoy!
Step 6: Video Tutorial
You can print the recipe here if you like.
Now watch those steps in action with this video tutorial. :)
Participated in the
1 Person Made This Project!
- robbied made it!