Introduction: Apple Roses Pastry
Apple roses are an elegant pastry that is easily prepared and best served fresh.
The following instructable makes ~12 servings.
Serving size = 1 apple rose.
- ~3-4 Apples (red delicious for color)
- 2 Puff pastry sheets (1 pack)
- Lemon juice
- Fruit preserves (peach flavor is my choice due to sweetness)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Muffin tin
- Large (microwave safe) bowl
- Rolling pin
- Cooking spray or cupcake sheets
- Butter knife (for cutting dough and spreading fruit preserves)
- Chef's knife (for cutting apples)
Step 1: Prep
1) Remove puff pastry sheets from package.
Thaw both puff pastry at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
Thawed puff pastry should unfold easily.
Step 2: Petal Prep
2) Prepare a large bowl of water in a microwave safe bowl and add lemon juice (~1 tablespoon lemon juice / quarter gallon water).
3) Do not peel apple! Slice apple in half and place flat side down. Slice apple thinly (~1 cm thickness) and discard core and end slices. Place apple slices in bowl to prevent oxidation/ discoloring.
4) Microwave apples in bowl until apple slices lose rigidity (~3-4 minutes) allowing them to be rolled in subsequent steps. The heated apples should be able to bend without breaking.
Step 3: Assembly
5) On a lightly floured surface use rolling pin to stretch puff pastry into 12 x 9 inch dimensions. Cut the dough into 6 strips with dimensions of about 2x9 inches.
6) Spread a thin layer of fruit preserves onto puff pastry sheet.
7) Use strainer to drain water from apples and let dry slightly. Place apple slices with minor overlap as shown in picture.
8) Fold bottom half of puff pastry sheet onto self while covering most of the apple slices. Pinch both ends of puff pastry to seal.
9) Roll from one end to the other and place into cupcake sheet or greased muffin tin. This step takes practice keeping the apples in place.
Step 4: Bake
10) Bake at 375 F for 40 - 45 minutes on middle rack. If apples start to burn on top, move to lower rack and/or cover loosely last 10 minutes using aluminum foil.
Step 5: Enjoy
11) Remove from oven and add powdered sugar (optional).
Best enjoyed fresh.
Participated in the
Baking Speed Challenge