Introduction: Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables One Pan Meal
This is one of my family’s favourite meals. It can be made with either chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs. Today I am using chicken drumsticks because that is what was on sale.
I have not used any measurements in this recipe rather than a per person ratio. For each person I set out two pieces of chicken, *one potato, about 1/4 cup of tomatoes and half a carrot each. I have also made this recipe with fresh spinach instead of the zucchini. It depends what is on sale and what looks good that week at the grocery store.
This dish cooks in about 1 hour and it is a complete dinner.
* In today’s recipe I am using yellow potatoes because that is what we had in the house. You can use any type of potato you wish. Red, Baker, Sweet, or Baby (3 each per person).
Chef knife or a large knife you feel comfortable chopping with.
Chicken drumsticks or thighs - 2 pieces per person
Potatoes - 1 per person
Carrots - 1/2 per person
Cherry tomatoes or Large tomatoes cut into chunks (1/4 cup per person)
1 Bulb of Garlic
2 - Zucchini’s
Kosher Salt and Pepper
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare the Chicken and Tomatoes
1. Preheat your oven to 425*F
2. Place the chicken in a single layer inside the roaster.
3. Depending on the size of the tomatoes, cut them in half or chunks.
4. For this recipe I used 7 small tomatoes and cut them in half.
Step 2: Garlic, Onions, Potatoes and Seasonings
1. Peel the onion cut it into quarters and place them into the roaster.
2. Cut off any bruises on the potatoes. For this dish we do not peel the potatoes, we like the skin on but the choice is yours.
3. Slice them about 2 inches thick, then cut those pieces in half. Place in the roaster.
4. Slice the bottom off the bulb of the garlic. Pluck out the cloves and place in the roaster.
5. Arrange the potatoes, garlic and onions around the chicken and tomatoes.
6. You can season with Kosher salt and pepper.
Step 3: Zucchini and Carrots
1. Slice the zucchini about 1 inch thick.
2. Cut the 1 inch coins in half and place them inside the roaster.
3. Once you have trimmed and peeled the carrots, slice them into 1 inch pieces.
4. Place the carrots inside the roaster.
Step 4: Season and Mix It Up
1. For this recipe I used about 1/3 cup of Balsamic Vinegar. You may choose to use more or less depending on your taste buds. We really love how it helps to caramelize the chicken and onions.
2. Pour the Balsamic vinegar all over the chicken and vegetables but DO NOT MIX.
3. I used the same amount of Olive Oil: 1/3 cup.
4. Pour the Olive Oil all over the chicken and vegetables but DO NOT MIX.
5. Using a pair of tongs mix all the chicken, vegetables and seasoning together.
6. Once mixed well, ensure that the chicken is placed on top of the vegetables to cook.
7. Place the roaster inside your preheated oven on the center rack and cook uncovered for about 1 hour or until the meat thermometer reaches 165* or higher.
Step 5: Check the Meat and You're Ready to Eat!
1. Once an hour has gone by, test the chicken with the meat thermometer.
2. In order for the chicken to be cooked properly, it needs to reach 165*
3. If your thermometer is higher that is ok.
4. Your vegetables should be done, but not too soft and soggy. You can roast them longer to make them softer if that is your preference.
5. Time to set the table and enjoy your hard work.
Participated in the
One Pot Meals Speed Challenge