Introduction: Captain's Paper Hat
Paper is an incredible building tool and an accessible way to expand our understanding of 3D modeling. Let's build a classic Captain's newspaper hat in the first of 8 Simple Newspaper Hat Tutorials. Click the link to view the whole collection :)
Teachers and Parents:
For more details on how to extended this project for additional learning check out further resources in step 5. Topics include: Sea Exploration, Navigation, and Cartography.
- Single Sheet of Newspaper. *Note: You can also use a large flyer or wrapping paper.
- Fold the newspaper in half, so that it forms a long rectangle.
- Arrange the rectangle so that the long OPEN edge is at the BOTTOM, closest to from you.
- With the open edge of the rectangle closest to you, fold one corner of the rectangle down towards the bottom, leaving about a 2" space at the bottom.
- Fold the second corner of the rectangle over to meet your first triangle.
- Note: If the second fold has excess newspaper at the bottom - that's ok ! Just trim the excess paper off to match the bottom edge of your first corner fold.
- You should now have a triangle with a 2" band along the bottom
- Fold one sheet of the bottom 2" band up along the bottom of the two corner folds and crease flat.
- Flip the newspaper over and repeat by folding the other sheet of the bottom 2" band up and crease flat.
- Fold the bottom corners of each side up to secure in place
- Note: You can choose to add some tape here for extra support.
- Open along the bottom and place atop your head !
Step 5: Extended Learning
Sea Exploration, Navigation, Cartography
Videos / Resources:
Early Explorers: The Age of Discovery
3D Designing with Tinkercad :