Introduction: Cheesy Bites Pizza
This is pizza and cheese filled bread bites in one. It is fun and easy to prepare. Wow the guests at your next pizza party with this unique creation!
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp canola oil
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
8 sticks mozzarella string cheese (I recommend the Crystal farms brand from Walmart. DO NOT use the Kraft brand.)
1 beaten egg
Your choice of pizza toppings
(Optional) Italian seasonings, garlic powder, grated parmesan cheese
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Whisk lightly to combine.
- let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- Add the salt and oil. Whisk lightly to combine.
- Add the flour and knead with a stand mixer (using the Dough hook on low speed) for 4-5 minutes or by hand for 10-15 minutes. The Dough is ready when it is smooth and elastic. It will be just slightly sticky.
- Form the Dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Remove the plastic wrap and punch down the dough to deflate it.
- Turn your dough out onto a 16 inch round pan.
- Roll, stretch or press the dough out evenly into a 16 inch circle.
Step 2: Form the Cheesy Bites
- Place 8 sticks of string cheese on the crust evenly spaced in a circle about 2" from the edge (see photo).
- Pull the edge of the dough up and over the string cheese sticks one at a time, and press the edge down into the dough to seal the cheese stick inside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough between each cheese stick.
- Cut through the dough and cheese sticks dividing each cheese stick into thirds.
- Carefully turn each cheesy bite counterclockwise by 90°.
- Pinch the dough together at the bottom of each cheesy bite to prevent any cheese from leaking out during cooking.
Step 3: Add Sauce, Cheese and Toppings
Add your choice of sauce, cheese and toppings to the pizza.
Step 4: Apply the Egg Wash
- Brush each cheesy bite with the beaten egg.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with Italian herbs, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.
Step 5: Bake
- Bake the pizza at 400° F for 17-20 minutes until the cheesy bites are golden brown.
- Remove pizza from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.
Participated in the
Bread Challenge 2017