Introduction: Wicked Good White Bread
This is a versatile and tasty white bread that can be used for many purposes. Make a big sandwich, toast, croutons, bread pudding, french toast, or just eat a slice of bread and butter. Delicious!
1cup warm water
2 tbsp + 2 tsp granulated sugar
4 + 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 + 1/2 - 3 cups bread flour
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the water, sugar, oil, and yeast. Whisk lightly to combine.
2. Set aside for about 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
3. Add the salt and whisk lightly to combine.
4. Add the flour. Knead for 5 minutes in a stand mixer or 10-15 minutes by hand. Dough should be just slightly sticky. If needed, add more flour 1 Tbsp at a time until the dough is no longer very sticky.
5. Form dough into a ball and place in a bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
7. Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about 1 hour).
8. Punch down the dough to deflate.
Step 2: Fold and Shape the Dough
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface.
- (With your hands) formthe dough into a large flattened rectangle about the same height as your loaf pan.
- Fold 1/3 of the dough towards the center. Use the heel of your hand to press the dough edge in.
- On the other side, fold 1/3 of the dough towards the center. Use the heel of your hand to press the dough edge in.
- Fold the dough in half once more.
- Use the heel of your hand to seal the edges together.
- Turn the dough over, placing the seam on the bottom.
- Smooth the ends of the loaf, tucking the side edges under.
- Place the loaf into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and allow it to rise until the dough is about 1 inch above the top of the pan.
Step 3: Bake and Cool
1. Bake on the center oven rack at 375° F for 35-40 minutes.
2. Cool on a wire rack at least 45 minutes before slicing.
Participated in the
Bread Challenge 2017