Introduction: Chicken Sauce Piquante
Chicken Sauce Picante is a Louisiana dish that is basically a spicy chicken and tomato gravy. It will fill your house with a wonderful aroma. Piquante means spicy, its a heat that is given off by the cayenne pepper, jalapenos and the tabasco sauce. See the recipe below:
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 cup ap flour
- 1 (5-6 pound) chicken cut in 8 pieces
- vegetable oil from frying
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 3/4 cups chopped celery
- 1 3/4 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 3/4 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 3/4 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp of Tabasco sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
Step 2: Prep Work on the Chicken
- Combine the seasoning mix in a small bowl and mix thoroughly
- Mix 1 Tbsp of the seasoning mix with the flour in a container or paper bag.
- Dredge the cut up chicken in the flour and set aside.
Step 3: Lets Fry That Chicken
- Heat 1/4 inch of cooking oil in a large heavy bottom pan to approximately 350 degrees
- Fry the chicken skin side down first for 5 to 8 minutes per side. Do this to both sides and remove and set aside
- Drain all the oil into a glass container, leave the sediments in the pan.
- Add back 1/3 cup of the oil and heat the stove to high
Step 4: Cooking the Tomato Mixture
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until the onions start getting translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeno peppers, cook about another 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for another 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the Tabasco sauce and remove from heat
Step 5: Time to Finish This
- Add the fried chicken and stock to a 5 1/2 quart saucepan or large dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Then stir in half the tomato mixture and cook for another 5 minutes covered
- Stir in the remaining tomato mixture and cook covered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally
Step 6: Serve Over Rice