Introduction: Clean Sneakers
Now, more than ever, sneakers are the highlight of your outfit. Because of your dirty shoes, you might lose the girl, the job, and your will to live. Don't let this happen to you, and make sure your sneakers are street ready by following the steps below.
Step 1: Gather the Supplies
Before you begin, you will need:
- Old toothbrush
- Clorox wipes
- Laundry Detergent
- Paper Towel
- Disposable cup
- Bleach (optional)***
and of course, your dirty sneakers!
***If you have all white shoes, using bleach can help you achieve a brighter white.
DO NOT USE BLEACH ON COLORED SHOES. Using bleach on colored shoes will discolor them.
Step 2: Laces
To clean your shoelaces,
- Prepare a solution of laundry detergent and water in a 1:1 ratio in the disposable cup. Make enough solution to fully submerge the laces.
- Remove shoelaces from shoes and place in solution. If the shoelaces are not fully submerged, add more solution.
- Stir solution to ensure the laces are fully saturated.
- Place cup in a safe place, and proceed to next step.
Step 3: Uppers and Tongue
To clean the uppers and tongue of the shoe,
- Using a Clorox wipe, gently clean any dirt and stains around the shoe.
- Fully clean the tongue of the shoe, taking special care with and around the shoelace eyelets.
- Repeat until satisfied.
Step 4: Mid and Outer Soles
To clean the mid and outer soles,
- Using a wet paper towel, remove excess dirt from the soles. (TIP: Holding the sneaker under gently running water is helpful)
- Dip the old toothbrush in the solution prepared in Step 2.
- Scrubbing in small circles, thoroughly clean the mid and outer soles.
- Use a wet paper towel to wipe off the soles and to assess the progress.
- Repeat the above steps 3 & 4 until satisfied soles are clean.
Step 5: Replace the Laces
To replace the laces,
- Check to see if the laces are clean by picking up a shoelace and running it though pinched fingers to remove excess solution. (HINT: If the solution is dirty, it's working)
- If satisfied with laces, remove from solution and rinse with water.
- Let dry. (TIP: If accessible, use a warm air powered bathroom hand dryer or hairdryer!)
- Relace the shoes, using the tutorials below if desired.