Introduction: Connect PS3/PS4 Controller to Windows in 5 Minutes Easy
Did you know that you can use your PS3 / PS4 controller to play games on the PC. This is possible via the SCP Toolkit (with step by step instructions on how to set up) and Bluetooth/USB on the Playstation controllers. This guide will teach you how to set up your controller so that your PC sees it as an Xbox controller (since games don't have native support for PS controllers). Each button will be automatically mapped to the equivalent one on the Xbox controller.
Step 1: Hardware
For this project, you need the following:
- PS3/PS4 controller (can be purchased at your local games shop)
- OPTIONAL - Bluetooth dongle (The one used in this tutorial: https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Adapter-Rocketek-T...
Keep in mind that the software will install a new driver for your bluetooth dongle meaning that the dongle will be used exclusively for the controllers and will not be able to connect to other bluetooth devices while it is being used.
Step 2: Software
Unlike other methods, the package that we will use is called ScpToolkit and it is an all-in-one installer for the SCP package.
If you are running Windows 7, you will need the Xbox 360 controller drivers as well
Step 3: Install
Before beginning, make sure that if you have a bluetooth dongle, it is plugged in and that Windows has installed the appropriate drivers for it.
- Open up the installer. When installing, you can leave everything at its default values. This will install the tools onto your computer. It is worth noting that the actual driver installation does not happen until later.
- When the installer finishes, the driver installation page should open up. If not, you can search for ScpToolkit Driver Installer.
- On this program, You can choose to install drivers for Bluetooth, PS3, PS4 controllers, etc. Select the ones that apply to you then look left and select the appropriate devices that correspond to the device you want to install the driver to.
- If you are on Windows Vista, then you must click force install
- If you are on any version of windows before Windows 8, select Install Xbox360 controller driver as well
- Once done, reboot your computer
The server will start with the computer. To connect the controller, simply plug it in or just press the PS button and it will automatically pair with the computer. If the controller is not pairing via Bluetooth, insert a needle into the reset hole on the back of the controller.
To test this, you can open Steam Big Picture mode or load up any controller compatible game!