Introduction: Control Color of Flame Using a Magnet
How to create a fire that changes its color, from green to red and vice versa, when exposed to a magnetic field.
Step 1: Preparation
1) To a small glass add about 16 ml of alcoholic gel (Dr. Fischer Alco-Gel 70%). Ethanol can be used instead but it less effective and more dangerous.
2) Add one spoon of table salt (NaCl).
3) Add one spoon of Boric acid.
4) Add one spoon of Magnetite (Fe3O4) powder.
5) Stir until you get a uniform black mixture.
Step 2: Usage:
Pour a drop of the mixture on a glass plate and ignite.
Step 3: Change the Flame Color From Blue to Red
To change the flame color from blue to red, place the magnet directly below the flame.
Step 4: Change the Fire Color From Red to Blue
To change the flame color from red to blue, put the magnet below the flame move the magnet sideways along the plate.
Step 5: Extinguish the Fire
To extinguish the fire cover the flame with a small bowl.