Introduction: Copycat Panera Four-Cheese Breakfast Soufflé
I don't know about you, but I've been craving Panera Four-Cheese Breakfast Souffles since the quarantine started! Puff pastry, eggs, and cheese are in full supply at my grocery and I hope they are at yours too! If so go grab these ingredients and follow this easy recipe!
All you need to do is shred some cheese, whisk up some eggs and roll out some puff pastry and these can be on your table in well under an hour!
- Preparation time - about ten minutes
- Baking time - about twenty-five minutes
- Cooling time - abut five minutes
- 4-6 Small tart pans, muffin tins, or small shallow oven-safe bowls. (I used 1 small four-inch Fire King oven-safe bowl and 5 (holes or slots) in my cast iron muffin pan.)
- 1 Medium bowl (At least a two cup-sized microwavable bowl.)
- 1/2 cup measuring cup
- 3/4 cup measuring cup
- 1 tbsp measuring spoon
- 1 small bowl
- Box grater (If your cheese isn't already grated/shredded.)
- Rolling pin
- 1 knife or pizza cutter to cut puff pastry
- Parchment paper. Optional, not necessary, but helpful.
- Pastry brush. Optional, you can use your fingertip instead.
- 2 Potholders
- Cooling rack
- Tongs, spoons, or forks to remove soufflés from the pans.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
- 4 Eggs
- ½ tbsp Milk
- 2½ tbsp Parmesan cheese - Grated or shredded
- ½ cup Cottage cheese
- ¾ cup Shredded cheese. Use a combination of Monterey jack, cheddar, Asiago, Gouda, or any 2 flavorful cheeses of your choice. I used a combination of Monterey and Balsamic BellaVitano and they were amazing!
- 1 pinch each Salt & pepper - To taste. 1/8 tsp each will do.
- 1 sheet Puff pastry - Thawed (Follow the microwave instructions on the box to quick thaw if necessary. Wrap in a paper towel and microwave in ten-second increments, just until you can unfold/unroll it.)
- 1 pinch Herbs & seasoning - Optional. I used turmeric and chives. Just a pinch of turmeric gives it a rich yellow color. Chives are a mild but flavorful touch and the green pops look great in the Soufflés!
Step 2: Preheat Your Oven to 400°
Preheat your oven to 400°. If you are using paper tart liners, preheat your oven to the highest temperature that the paper liners allow - closest to 400°.
Step 3: Combine Your Eggs
- Beat all four eggs, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl. (I used my 2 cup Pyrex.)
- Set aside a tablespoon of egg mixture and add a splash of milk or cream to it. (This will be used later to brush on the pastry before baking.)
Step 4: Stir in Your Favorite Cheeses
Stir all of the cheeses (shredded and cottage cheese) into your egg mixture until combined. (Add turmeric and chives if desired.)
Step 5: Microwave Egg Mixture Until It's No Longer Runny
- Microwave the egg and cheese mixture for thirty-seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for thirty-seconds.
- Continue microwaving and stirring in thirty-second increments until it is no longer runny. When it’s starting to set up enough to where it’s not runny, like a thick pudding, it’s ready to spoon into the pastry and bake.
- Set it aside to cool slightly while you prepare your pastry.
Step 6: Roll and Cut the Puff Pastry
- Roll the puff pastry with a rolling pin until it's long enough to cut six square or rectangle-shaped pieces to line your pans. If the dough is getting warm or flimsy, roll it back up and put it in the freezer for five to ten minutes to cool. It puffs best and is easier to work with when it's really cold and slightly firm.
- Cut it into six square or rectangle-shaped pieces. I used a pizza cutter, but a sharp knife will do! They don't need to be perfect, they will puff up around the egg anyway!
- Place the pastry in the muffin pans, bowls, and press to cover the bottom and up the sides. There should be extra overlapping the edges.
- Poke a few holes in the bottoms of the pastries with a fork.
Step 7: Fill the Puff Pastry With the Egg Mixture
- Fill the pastries with your thickened egg mixture. There should be a perfect amount of egg mixture to evenly distribute among the pastries.
- Fold the excess puff pastry down over the egg mixture.
- Brush the egg and milk mixture over the top of the puff pastry, it will help bake it up to a golden brown!
Step 8: Bake Until Golden Brown
- Bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until the pastry is puffed and browned.
- When they are brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Using tongs or a spoon and fork to remove them and place them on a cooling rack for a few minutes.
- These are best served right away, but they will heat up nicely in the microwave later! They only take about twenty seconds to heat up as leftovers!
- Top with fresh chives, or freshly grated cheese and enjoy!
Runner Up in the
First Time Author Contest