Introduction: DIY Faceshield in 2 Steps
Three years ago I bought two faceshields for a 10 year old birthday party, so that the kids can smash geodes open safely. Recently, I tried to re-purchase a faceshield from a large online market place that starts with A. I wanted one faceshield for my entire family for corona-virus protection and I was short one faceshield. This retailer would not sale to me since I was not an "organization on the front lines responding to COVID-19"
If you are in a similar boat and are looking for some protection and all you have is office supplies, then this site is for you.
These are not medical nor safety faceshield.
They can not give you complete protection from coronavirus or impact protection.
PAPR (sans powered) Option:
If you tape a 12 x 48 " fabric round the face-shield visor (on the long side) and then tuck the short edges in the hat. It makes for an OK PAPR hood.
- 1 Baseball cap
- 3 mini binder clips
- 1 clear protector sheet for 3 ring binder (Avery 15740 was used here)
- (Clear protector sheet substitution) Hole puncher and a clear plastic if you can not find a protector sheet.
- PAPR (sans powered)
- 12 x 48 inch landscape fabric or other breathable and good filtration fabric
Step 1: Push Binder Clip Through Each Hole
Push binder clip through each hole.
Step 2: Attach to Baseball Cap
Attach each binder clip to hat. Try to center the middle hole with the middle of the cap.
Congratulations! You have a faceshield.
Step 3: Optional: PAPR-like (sans Powered)
If you tape a LONG edge of a 12 x 48 " fabric around the clear visor part of the faceshield and then tuck the short 12 " edge in the baseball cap you end up with an OK PAPR like hood.
- Make sure you tape on any gaps.
- This is NOT medical grade.
- Instructions are offered to help as last resort.
- Sewing a second layer (like silk) can increase the awesomeness and protection.
Advantages over face masks:
- Can see the entire face!
- Increased filter surface area to make it easier to breath! Pressure is Force per unit Area. Increase area decrease pressure.