Introduction: DIY Water Misting System
DIY Water Misting System
Have you ever been outside on one of those really hot summer days?
You want to spend time outside with your friends but the sun keeps you staying inside.
I’m going to show you a great way to make a heavy duty mister so you can enjoy the outdoors during those hot days.
Watch Video Version Here:
Misters are great because they provide enough water to keep but cool but do not soak your clothing.
I wanted this set up to fit under a 10 by 10 canopy tent, but this can be modified to work with any porch or building with a hose connection nearby.
I also wanted it to be easily disconnected and transported to other locations.
- 10 x 10 Canopy
- (5) 1/2 inch PVC Pipe
- (4) 1/2 inch Elbows
- (4) 1/2 inch Screw-together Couplings
- (1) On/Off valve
- (1) 1/2 inch End cap
- (1) 1/2 inch PVC Hose Connector
- (20) Copper Screw-in Misting Tips
- Drill bit / Thread maker
- PVC glue
- PVC Cutters
If you would like the video version of this Instructable and the embedded video does not appear, here is an alternative link.
Use of content for personal projects is at your own risk.
Step 1: Preparing the Pipes
Preparing the Pipes
I started with some 1/2 inch PVC pipe since it is easily available at most home improvement stores.
I also purchased some small copper screw-in misting tips that provide about a half a gallon of vapor per hour.
The first step was to measure the canopy, and the best mounting locations turned out to be at 9 feet 6 inches.
So that will be the length on each of the four side pipes.
To connect each corner I decided to use an elbow and a screw together coupling.
The coupling will allow for easy disassembly.
When gluing these pieces together I made sure the female end of all the couplings were attached to the elbows.
This will help ensure the pipes are universal to each other I then glued them to the pipes.
Next I measured the needed 9 and ½ feet on the pipes, made a mark and then trimmed the sides.
Step 2: Installing the Misting Nozzles
Installing the Misting Nozzles
Next up was drilling the holes for each of the misters.
To make this easier, I used a drill bit with the correct thread pattern (built in) to make this a 1 step process.
I found this drill bit on Amazon if you are interested:
http://amzn.to/2tkfoye (affiliate link)
Misters on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/2sNtvL8 (affiliate link)
I made several measurements and ended up drilling in five locations on each pipe at 27”, 39”, 57”, 75”, and 93” inches.
I also angled the pipes slightly so the sprayers would spray inward toward the center of the tent.
This would allow for and even distribution of mist for everyone under the tent.
When drilling each hole I had to work slowly to make sure not to overheat the plastic so it would not deform the threads.
This worked well enough that I could insert and screw each nozzle by hand.
Step 3: Adapting to a Hose
Adapting to a Hose
I then decided to add a 5th pipe facing down on one corner to easily connect the water source.
To do that I needed a hose adapter.
This can easily be found in the sprinkler section at most home improvement stores.
I also up graded the adapter by replacing the current rubber washer to a filter version to help prevent debris from clogging the misters.
In the vertical pipe I also added an on off valve so the water could be shut off quickly if needed.
At the top of this pipe I added an additional screw together coupling just in case I needed to modify it in the future.
The pipes were nearly complete.
I just needed to add an end cap to only one of the horizontal pipes to cap off the water flow out of the series of pipes.
Step 4: Hanging to Use
Hanging to Use
It was now time to hang the set up on the canopy using some zip ties.
The zip ties worked well and allowed some adjustment as needed which made the system easy to assemble.
I then glued the remaining connections making sure the angle of the misters stayed at the appropriate locations.
I also glued the vertical pipe and strapped it to one of the legs of the tent.
After giving the glue some time to dry it was read for a test.
For the first test there was a little bit of leaking at the screw connections. So I added some Teflon tape in between some of these joints, and it worked great.
All of the parts worked well together and the best part was the ease of disassembly.
Just unscrew the joints and cut the zip ties.
Then you can easily store the pipes in a car to transport.
This is an awesome project to make and my friends loved using it.
If you liked this project make sure to hit the like button and tell us about it in the comments.
Have fun building!
Participated in the
Participated in the
Participated in the
Lazy Life Challenge