Introduction: Dreamcast - Burn Games With ImgBurn
Hello everyone, a few days ago I got my hands on my old Dreamcast console and decided to play with it. As you may know Dreamcast GD-ROMs are quite vulnerable to scratches and so some of my games did not work anymore.
Luckily there is a way to burn games images acquired online to CD-Rs and make them work like the original games. And I will show you how you can do this.
Important: I did not come up with this method myself. I found it online and decided to write an Instructable to let people know about it and to provide some advice how it is done. Please have a look at the sources and give the guy some credit for his great tutorial :)
Ok. Here we go :)
Step 1: Prerequisites
Before we begin we need to fulfill some prerequisites:
- Take a look at the bottom of your Dreamcast to determine if you have a PAL or a NTSC console. This is important to know so that you download the correct version of the games you wish to play. Although I heard that you can play NTSC games on a PAL console and vise versa I do not have proof of that.
- Now download the necessary Dreamcast Drivers for ImgBurn and add them to the path where you installed ImgBurn. You can download them from here. (ImgBurn Installer included. Btw you need 7-Zip to unzip the downloaded archive.)
- Default path of ImgBurn: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn"
- Add the files pfctoc.dll, pfctoc.h and pfctoc.lib you downloaded to the Default path of ImgBurn
Step 2: Write the Game Image to Disc
Ok. After you fulfilled all prerequisites you can finally burn your game image to the disc.
- Start ImgBurn
- Click on "Write image file to disc"
- Now select your CDI game image file as Source and put your CD-R disc into your disc drive
- "Write Speed" should be set to "4x" automatically when you select a CDI image file.
- Do not increase this value since it could cause error making the game unplayable.
- As you can see in the ImgBurn Log the game image I chose was burned at 10x write speed since the DVD drive of my Laptop cannot burn at a lower write speed. Games like Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 2 did work despite the increased write speed without problems.
Step 3: Play
Now all you need to do is the following:
- Put your newly created game disc into your Dreamcast
- Power it on
- Enjoy :)
That´s it. Now you can play again with your favorite games even if your original game discs won´t work anymore.