Introduction: Easy Mango Watermelon Sorbet
What a better way to cool off hot summer days with some delicious sorbet. This recipe brings two of best summers showstoppers - Mango and Watermelon to make one refreshing bright sorbet. Even better if you can make it yourself with fresh/frozen fruits in a few easy steps. The recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan with no added sugar. Also, there is not need for an ice cream churning machine.
What I love about this sorbet is the bright colors of Watermelon intertwining with the mangoes paints a picture of of a beautiful summer sunset.
In this instructable, you will find a simple recipe and steps to make the Mango Watermelon Sorbet and some tips and recipe alternatives.
Fresh or frozen Mango, Watermelon, Chopping board, Knife, Cup, Blender, Container.
Step 1: Gathering Tools and Ingredients
1. Mango chunks ( You can use fresh or frozen mangoes)
2. Water melon chunks
1. Fresh Lime Juice - I like to use fresh lime juice drops when serving, gives a nice citrus kick.
2. Sweetener - Sugar/Honey/Maple Syrup - As needed. See note.
Use any of the sweetener if you think you need your sorbet a little bit more on the sweeter side. Always taste your fruits and adjust sweetness accordingly.
1. Chopping Board
3. Cup or Bowl for measuring
Step 2: Cut Fruits
1. Wash Mangoes.
2. Peel off the skin.
4. Remove the seed.
3. Cut mango into cubical chunks.
You can always use frozen mango chunks as well.
1. Wash watermelon.
2. Slice off the skin.
3. Cut watermelon in cubical chunks.
4. Remove seeds, if any.
Step 3: Measure Fruits
Mango - 2 Cup
Watermelon - 2 Cups
The ratio for this recipe is is 1:1.
I have used 2 cups of Mango for 2 cups of Watermelon.
This recipe will yield about 3 cups of Sorbet. Feel free to adjust the recipe a you may like.
Step 4: Freeze Fruits
1. Freeze Mango Chunks in the freezer for about 7 hours until they are almost solid.
2. Freeze Watermelon Chunks in the freezer for about 7 hours.
Do not freeze the fruits together in the same container. It will be difficult to separate the chunks when they are frozen. The idea behind this recipe is to overlay the fruit purees and blend them to get a bright mosaic pattern rather a unified color.
Step 5: Blend Fruits
1. Place frozen Watermelon Chunks in a Blender or a food processed.
2. Blend watermelon chunks into a puree
3. Scoop out watermelon puree in a container.
1. Place frozen Mango Chunks in a Blender or a food processed.
2. Blend Mango chunks into a puree.
3. Scoop out mango puree and top it on the watermelon puree.
Step 6: Create a Swirl
Once both the mango and watermelon purees are placed in the container, use a fork/knife to create swirls/marble effect.
Do not mix too much.
Step 7: Final Freeze
1. Freeze the puree (sorbet) mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes.
2. Take it out and let it sit in room temperature for 10 minutes.
3. Scoop and serve as you may like
4. Freeze the rest.
Participated in the
Frozen Treats Speed Challenge