Introduction: Extra Bacon-y BLT With Avocado & Fried Egg
The magic of this sandwich comes from using the grease from the bacon to cook the egg and toast the bread!
An egg fried in bacon grease is amazing! Then the bread soaks up the rest of the bacon grease and toasts to perfection!
I LOVE this sandwich!
- Bread (sourdough preferably)
- 2-3 strips of Bacon
- 1-2 eggs
Step 1: Cook the Bacon
I love using cast iron for this because the bacon grease helps to season the vast iron beautifully. I included a video I made to help season cast iron if you need help with that. But any pan will do for this sandwich.
- Start with a cold pan and place the bacon slices so they don't overlap.
- Place skillet over medium heat and cook until the bacon starts to brown on one side. Use tongs to flip the bacon.
- Continue to cook the bacon, flipping occasionally to prevent burning, until cooked to your liking (8 to 12 minutes from cold pan to finish).
- Once cooked, remove the bacon from the skillet and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
*TIP: Using a Grease Splatter Screen (like this one) helps a ton with preventing a greasy mess when pan frying bacon.
Step 2: Prep the Other Ingredients
While the bacon is cooking, prepare your cheese slices, avocado slices, lettuce, and tomato.
Step 3: Fry the Egg
Once the bacon is done cooking, it's time to fry your egg.
- Use the same pan and keep the bacon grease of course! You can also add in a little extra butter to the pan if you'd like.
- Crack the egg into the pan taking care not to break the yolk
- Cook the egg to your desired doneness. I prefer medium/hard for a sandwich. You can cover the pan with a lid to help it cook a bit faster by keeping the heat in.
- Once the egg is done, set aside on a plate for later.
Step 4: Melt the Cheese & Toast the Bread
- In the same pan, add in the two slices of bread.
- Place your cheese slices on one piece of bread to melt. Again, you can cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt a bit faster by keeping the heat in.
- Once the bread is beautifully toasted and cheese melted, remove and set aside on a plate.
Step 5: Assembly!
Time to assemble this sandwich!
Step 6: Enjoy!
Enjoy that extra bacon-y flavor and dig in!
Please let me know your thoughts on this sandwich, if you try it yourself, and any ideas to improve or enhance it.
P.S. I also host a podcast called Curiosityness! Every week I conduct a podcast interview with an expert about the most fascinating history, things, & people of our world. If that interests you, I encourage you to check out the Curiosityness podcast available for free at https://www.curiosityness.com/
And find me on Instagram @travderose: https://www.instagram.com/travderose/
Participated in the
Sandwich Challenge 2020