Introduction: Homemade Cough Syrup
Cough Syrup is also known as Kashayam is a traditional Indian home remedy used as a cure for many ailments. It is basically a concoction made with different spices and herbs that are commonly available.
There are many types of kashayam used in Ayurveda medicine. Ayurveda medicine can always be experimented because it does not have any side effects.
Make a big batch of kashayam when you have cold and keep sipping it hot 2-3 times a day. You will be relieved of all the symptoms within a day or two.
So let's get started with the preparation.
Step 1: Ingredients Needed
- Dry Ginger - 1" piece
- Black peppercorns - 5-6
- Coriander seeds - 5-6
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Water - 2 - 3 cups
- Honey / Jagger (to sweeten)
Step 2: #Roasting
- Take a bowl and keep it on the stove , turn on the flame.
- Add Cumin seeds & Black pepper to this and roast these for some time.
- Remove if any unwanted foreign particles is present.
- Once it is roasted properly, take them out from the bowl.
Step 3: #Crush Them
- Slightly crush the seeds (coriander, cumin, peppercorns).
- Dry the Ginger using a mortar and pestle, and crush them into small pieces.
Step 4: #Boil Them Well
- Now keep a Bowl on the stove and turn on the flame.
- Add the powdered items into the water and stir it continuously.
- You'll get nice herbal smell at this stage.
- When the water turns brown in color, reduce the flame and turn-off after 5-minutes.
Step 5: #Strain Them
Use glove to remove the bowl that would be very hot.
Strain the liquid into a glass jar or air-tight container using a mesh-filter.
You can add Jagger/Honey at this stage if you wish the syrup to be sweet.
You can also preserve this for how many ever days you want.
That's all folks!! Thank you :)
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017