Introduction: Gluten Free Chicken and Sweet Potato Fritters
1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup cooked, finely diced chicken
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
Salt & Pepper
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add in the sweet potato and chicken and mix well with a fork. It will look mushy and slimy....you want that.
3. In another small bowl, combine the cornmeal, coconut and sugar. Add in a few twists/shakes of salt and pepper. Stir to combine .
4. Using your fingers, pick up a lump of the sweet potato mixture and form it into a small 2 inch patty shape (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick). Dip it in the cornmeal mixture and flip it over until its completely covered.
5. Drop the fritter SLOWLY into the butter in the frying pan. Repeat until you have made 5 or 6 fritters....or enough to fill up your pan. Fry for a few minutes on each side, flipping gently.
6. When they look golden on both sides, remove to a plate to cool. When they first come out of the frying pan, they are super hot and not very stable. The longer they cool, they sturdier they become...and the easier they are to pick up and eat with your fingers.
7. Try not to eat them all at once out of the frying pan. I ate these whole in my hands....my 3 year old ate them cut up on a plate with a fork. They would probably not reheat well, so plan to only make as many as you want to eat at one time.
Notes: These are amazing and taste like a thick sweet potato fry with a sweet crunchy coating. The little bits of chicken inside are barely noticeable and a nice way to sneak in some protein! The egg holds everything together just enough to fry, and then sort of disappears. This is my favorite way to use up leftover cooked chicken!