Introduction: Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
These oatmeal raisin cookies are a great snack to make for yourself and family. They are healthier than your average cookie, and they taste just as good!
- 2 large bowls
- 1 whisk and/or 1 large mixing spoon
- measuring cups
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of salted butter
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 2 eggs (preferably room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (yes, tablespoon!)
- 1 tablespoon of honey, heated
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ginger (optional)
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of raisins
- optional: 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (e.g. walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, etc.) or other dried berries (e.g. cranberries, cherries)
- parchment paper
- baking pan
Step 1: Assemble Ingredients
Make sure you have all of the ingredients listed before you start!
Step 2: Coconut Oil, Butter, and Honey
In a large bowl, whisk together the canola oil, butter (softened)and ¾ cup of honey (microwave the honey for 20-25 seconds).
Step 3: Eggs, Vanilla and Honey
Crack the eggs in a small bowl to make sure there are no shells. Add them to the mixture and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and remaining honey (1 tablespoon, microwaved for 5-10 seconds) and mix together. Set aside.
Step 4: Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger (if using). Add this to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 5: Extras
Mix in oats, raisins, and any additional nuts or fruits you would like with a large mixing spoon (batter will get stuck in the whisk). The dough should be thick and sticky. If the dough is not thick enough, add up to 3 tablespoons of extra flour (I added 1 tablespoon to this batch).
Step 6: Prepare to Bake
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Roll balls of dough (about 2 tablespoons per cookie) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.