Introduction: How to Cook Spicy Crab Gravy in Chettinad Style
Crab gravy is our family favorite. My Mom used to cook Crab Gravy when we all gathered together on vacations. I didn't get this spicy gravy taste anywhere. My sister always loved this crab gravy and finished all in no time.
Chettinad is a part of Tamil Nadu in South India where the people from that part are real experts in non-vegetarian cooking. So I made this spicy crab gravy in their style and thought to share the recipe to all. Try this gorgeous tasting recipe and you will love it. You can serve it with Rice or Dosa.
Hints:Adding lots of pepper to the crab curry helps to clear throat infection, cold, good digestion & helps to maintain the body temperature.
Step 1: Cleaning the Crab
Cleaning the crabs is a tedious process, so do it with patience.
- First, wash the Crabs in clean water.
- Pry the shells off, pulling from the back of the crab.
- Clean & remove all intestinal parts.
- Remove the gills and scoop out the guts inside the body of the crab.
- Remove anything that's not pure white (the white stuff is meat).
- Wash again in water and cut the pieces in half.
Step 2: Ingredients Needed
The ingredients used here are for cooking about 1 Kilograms of raw Crab.
- Crabs, 1 kilogram
- Oil, 3 Teaspoon
- Garlic cloves about 15 to 20 pieces
- Ginger, 1 inch long piece
- Sliced Onion, 3 pieces
- Cumin seed, 2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves, ½ cup
- Pepper, 2 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder, 2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder,2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilies, three to four pieces
- Mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- Water, 2 cups
Salt to taste
Tips: Can also add coconut and tomato for thick consistency and taste.
Step 3: Prepare Ginger Garlic Paste
Before starting, first prepare ginger garlic paste. To form smooth ginger garlic paste, grind the following ingredients in a blender,
- cumin seed
- dry red chilies
Grind until it become smooth paste and keep it aside.
Step 4: Prepare the Masala
- Heat oil in a hot pan, season with Mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils, dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Once it splutters, add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste followed by dry spice powders (Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Turmeric). Cook till raw smell disappears from the ingredients.
- Then add salt.
Step 5: Fry the Mixture
- Mix all the ingredients well. Cook the mixture for 10 minutes.
- If you feel that it is sticking to the pan, add little water.
Step 6: Add the Crab
- When all the ingredients are well cooked in oil, Add the cleaned crab pieces one by one.
- Add one cup of water to the pan and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid & allow to cook for 5 to 7 minutes..
- Stir the contents from time to time to prevent the dish from sticking to the pot.
Hint: Now we can add the grounded coconut mixture to the gravy & cook it for 5 – 6 minutes (for thick consistency).
Step 7: Serve the Hot Chettinad Style Crab Gravy
- Simmer for another 10 minutes till the oil floats and the mixture becomes thick in consistency.
Serve the Hot Spicy Chettinad style Crab Gravy with Rice/Dosa/ Idly. Enjoy the Gorgeous taste .
Participated in the