Introduction: How to Make Quinoa Taco Salad
Taco salad, taco salad, taco salad. What could possibly be more fun to eat than a taco salad? Quinoa Taco Salad! Quinoa has many great benefits! It is gluten-free, high in protein, and contains all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa is also high in fiber, calcium, vitamin E, potassium, and B vitamins. Quinoa is a powerful addition to almost any favorite food.
- Ground Beef
- Ground Sausage
- Taco Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chilies
- Tortilla Chips
- Salsa (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
Step 1: Prepare the Quinoa
- Quinoa should be rinsed very well prior to cooking it. Rinse until the powdery residue is rinsed away, leaving clear water.
- Drain well.
- Add water to saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add quinoa. Add salt for flavor. Note: The amounts needed will vary.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the grain is translucent and the germ has spiraled out from each grain.
- Set aside until meats have been browned.
Step 2: Prepare the Taco Salad Meat
- Place ground beef and sausage into a heated skillet and break into large pieces, using a spatula or wooden spoon. Break into smaller pieces to help it cook evenly. Cook until completely browned. Drain the meat mixture.
- Add quinoa, lightly drained diced tomatoes w/ green chilies, and taco seasoning. Stir well. Simmer on low setting.
Step 3: Prepare the Cheese Sauce
- Dice the cheese into small squares and place into a container. Add diced tomatoes w/ green chilies. Add a small amount of water.
- Microwave and stir occasionally, until cheese is completely melted. Set aside.
Step 4: Prepare the Veggies
- Wash and rinse the lettuce and tomatoes very well.
- Dice the tomatoes and place into a container. Set aside.
- Shred lettuce, as desired. Place into a container. Set aside.
Step 5: Arrange the Taco Salad
There is no special way to arrange your taco salad. It really depends on the person. But for the sake of just knowing... I will share exactly how I arrange mine.
- First, I place my chips. I like to have regular tortilla chips and Doritos (extra flavor) as the base layer.
- Then, I layer meat and salsa.
- Next, I place my lettuce and tomatoes.
- Next, I top it off with sour cream and melted cheese sauce.
- Last, it's time to EAT!