Introduction: How to Make Your Own Icing Sugar
Icing Sugar is just powdered sugar used for cake decorations and frosting. A small amount of anti-caking agent present in the icing sugar prevents formation of lumps and improves free flow. Ready-made Icing sugar is available from shops but the cost is very high.
This instructable will guide you on how to make your own Icing sugar at home
Step 1: Supplies Needed
- Granulated Sugar : This is normal granulated sugar we use at home
- Corn Flour or Corn Starch : This will act as an anti-caking agent
- Food colouring : As required
Step 2: Food Colouring
Synthetic Food colouring is available in powdered form as well as in liquid form. It is better to use powdered food colouring with the granulated sugar which you can store in air-tight containers for long time usage.
Here I have used Chocolate brown, Apple Green, Orange Red and Lemon Yellow to make four different colored Icing sugar.
Step 3: Make Icing Sugar
- One cup of granulated Sugar
- One teaspoon of Corn starch
- 1/4th Teaspoon of Food colouring in powder form
How to make
- Place all ingredients together in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine powder
- Transfer the powdered sugar mix into another container
In the last picture you can see Icing sugar made with four different colors stored in different containers
Step 4: How to Identify Colors
The colors of home-made icing sugar look very light. However you will get the full colors once you mix them with other ingredients while using
Take small samples in different containers and add little bit of water and see the vibrant colors coming to life
I have used small air-tight plastic containers for storing the home-made icing sugar. The containers are provided with small scoops for easily taking out the icing sugar.
I have also written the colors of icing sugar on the containers with a permanent ink pen for easy identification
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017