Introduction: How to Tie a Bow Tie
- Have fun with the colors of the bow tie and shirt!
- There are adjustable neck size bow ties for under $20 at Target.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
- Dress shirt with a collar
- Bow tie
Step 2: Prepare Shirt for Bow Tie
Flip the collar of the shirt upwards.
Step 3: Wrap Bow Tie Around Neck
Drape the bow tie around your neck so that one side is about an inch longer than the other.
- The longer side will be side A.
- The shorter side will be side B.
Step 4: Cross the Ends
Cross side A over side B so it forms an X.
Step 5: Make the Knot
Wrap side A underneath side B and hold side A straight up towards the ceiling.
Step 6: Make Half of the Bow
Take side B and at the widest part of the fabric, fold side B to the right so that the non-folded end of side B is going to the left and the folded portion is going to the right.
- Let side A rest on your shoulder for now.
Step 7: Make the Middle of the Bow
Take side A and wrap it over the middle of the bow created by side B.
Step 8: Pinch the Ends
Pinch both sides of side B together to the front to make it easier to tuck side A into the loop behind it.
- When you fold the ends together, there should be a loop that forms on the back.
- Place your index finger and thumb through the loop so you can widen it a little and know where the loop is.
Step 9: Make the Other Half of the Bow
Take side A and fold it at the widest part of the fabric like in step 6.
Step 10: Complete the Bow Shape
Take the folded side A and place it horizontally behind side B by pulling it through the loop.
- Pull side A only halfway through the loop behind side B.
Make sure that the folded portion is being pulled through to the left. The non-folded end of side A should remain on the right.
Step 11: Tighten the Bow
Once both folded sides are in line with each other, pull on both ends to tighten the bow.
- Make sure that both the folded ends are on opposite sides! If they are not, the bow will not form correctly.
Step 12: Finish the Look
Fold the shirt collar down and over the neck of the bow tie.
- Adjust accordingly.