Introduction: IoT Prototype Enclosure Design - Part 02
This is part two of the series and as we are in the design phase, we will only need a few parameters (Length, Width & Height) of the enclosure we plan to design.
- AutoCAD 2020 (Other versions can also be used, but few of the options discussed may differ
- Top View of the Enclosure.
- Front View of the Enclosure.
- Dimensions of the entire enclosure.
Step 1: Setting Up the Measurement Units
In this article, let us also explore a few more details that will help us design an exclosure that is precise to our needs & client requirements.
In this article, I am trying to demonstrate the design of an enclosure that will be of length 120mm, width 90mm, and depth 45mm.
It is very obvious that I need to choose units of measurement as "mm" from the "Drawing Utilities" submenu.
Step 2: Setting Up the Base Rectangle With Desired Dimensions and Wall Thickness.
- Select Polygon Tool
- Draw the top face of the box (Length: 120mm and Width: 90mm)
- Using the dimension tool, check if the box drawn is in line with the dimensions fixed earlier.
- Remove the dimension lines after checking.
- Zoom out the drawing area to have a comfortable view of the rectangle.
- Select the "Offset" tool to define the thickness of the box (Let us consider it as 1mm)
- Select "Zoom Extents" to have the full view of the rectangle with an offset of 1mm on all sides.
Step 3: Let's Start Building a 3D Design of the Box Now. . .
- Using the 3D cube on the top right corner (or) Custom Model Views on the top left corner, of the drawing area, select SE Isometric view and proceed further to the next steps.
- Zoom Extents to automatically Zoom in and have the entire design appear in the drawing area.
- Using Extrude, select both the rectangles (Inner and Outer)
- Extrude towards the top with a dimension of 45mm
- Zoom Extents once again allowing the drawing to fit in the area and for better visibility
- Select "Solid Subtract". Select the Outer box first (The box that needs to remain) and then the inner box (The box that needs to be subtracted/removed).
- Using "Custom Visual Styles", select "Conceptual" and check if we have the desired output.
- Using the "Orbit" tool, rotate the drawing freely to check all sides of the box.
- Once satisfied, you may return back to "Custom Visual Styles: 2D Wireframe" and proceed with the next steps.
Step 4: Designing the Base Plate. . .
- Select the "Rectangular" tool and draw a rectangle that will start at one end of the inner bottom rectangle to the diagonal second end of the rectangle.
- Select the newly created "Rectangle" and using the "offset" tool, create an outer rectangle with 1mm of offset.
- Furthermore, select the newly created two rectangles and select "Extrude".
- Pull the cursor towards the bottom of the drawing screen and mention the "Height of Extrusion" as 3 (The dimension mentioned here is just to give a clear picture of the base plate, else 1 mm is desired).
- Zoom Extents for better visibility of the design with the base plate.
- Now, select "Conceptual" from "Custom Visual Styles" to observe the finished enclosure.
- Orbit tool, helps you to have better visualization.
Step 5: Questions / Comments / Suggestions
Please post your questions/comments/suggestions to:
(or) text me on WhatsApp on: