Introduction: Karachi Chicken Biryani
Today we will be learning how to make a wonderful Indian and Pakistani Dish called Biryani. This dish is a main delicacy and can be created in many different ways. Almost every recipe will differ from the next.
This recipe is the one we use in my household on almost a weekly basis.
I hope you enjoy!
Image used from: https://www.fortunefoods.com/recipes/king-all-andh...
All other images from Bdean31
1 large cutting board
1 large (wide) pot (handi)
1 large stirring spoon
Small containers to hold items
Step 1: Prepare All Your Ingredients and Supplies
It is important to have all your ingredients and supplies prepared for when you are ready to cook.
For Chicken Curry:
1 tray of boneless skinless chicken thighs (7-10lbs)
2 and 1/4 large yellow onions
3 large beefsteak tomatoes
Panch Puran spice mix (contains brown mustard, nigella, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds)
Virgin Olive Oil or Ghee (use as needed)
Shan Spice Packet mix of Sindhi Biryani (contains salt, red chili pepper, dried plums with pits, paprika, coriander, tumeric, cumin, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, ginger, aniseed, carom, brown cardamom, dried papaya powder, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed soy protein, citric acid, sugar, canola oil, natural and artificial food flavor, silicone dioxide)
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
4-5 individual dried prunes
2-3 bay leaves
1 cup of water
Mint and parsley for garnish
Lemon for garnish
3 cups of Basmati rice
2 cups of water
Step 2: Dice Onions and Tomatoes
1. Cut up onions and tomatoes into small diced pieces and place separately
2. Save tomato liquid
Step 3: Fry Onions
1. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil on high in the large pot.
2. Add onions and cook until they become soft and clear
Step 4: Add Panch Puran
1. Add 2 large pinches of Panch Puran Mix and stir into onions
2. Continue to stir and fry onions until golden brown and aromatic
Step 5: Add Tomatoes
Add tomatoes (with liquid) into the pot and stir
Step 6: Add Chicken
After 4-5 minutes of cooking tomatoes (tomatoes should be soft), add in chicken thighs
Step 7: Add Shan Spice Packet
Wait for 1-2 minutes and then add Shan Spice Packet into the mixture and stir
Step 8: Add Spices
Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, bay leaves, dried plums, ginger and garlic into pot and stir
Step 9: Stir and Coat Chicken
Pour in water and stir continuously until chicken is completely coated with all of the spices
Step 10: Let Chicken Curry Cook
1. Let the chicken curry cook on medium-low heat for 25-35 minutes.
2. Check every 5-10 minutes and stir chicken curry.
Step 11: Cook Basmati Rice
1. Wash Basmati Rice 2-3 times until water is clear
2. Cook Basmati Rice as directed on package (may use stove or rice cooker)
Step 12: Layering
Your curry should have thickened and the chicken should be fully cooked
1. Begin layering tray with rice and then chicken and repeat until tray is full
Step 13: Serve and Garnish
1. Garnish Biryani with mint and parsley leaves and slices of lemon
2. Serve with an optional side of fresh raita or chutney
3. The dish may also be served with Mango Lassi or Pakola (Pakistani Cream Soda)