Introduction: Lord of the Rings Style Dinner
Welcome, fellow travelers. Here, you may take and make provisions to prepare you against the perilous journey ahead. Whether it be to destroy the One Ring of power, or host a party of rowdy dwarves in your Hobbit hole, we have recipes that will help give you energy to face the difficult tasks on your quest.
The recipes include a hearty stew from the roaring kitchens of Rohan, a filling shortbread from the towering forests of Lothlorien, and a warm brew from the courts of Rivendell.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients for Beef Stew
Gather all the following ingredients to prepare to make your beef stew:
- 1 ¼ lbs pre-cubed stew meat
- 1 t salt
- 1 c flour
- 2 T butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 4 yellow potatoes, washed and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 c chicken broth
Step 2: Make Beef Stew
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
Serving Size: 1 cup
- Prepare the 2 cloves of garlic, 1 large onion, 4 large carrots, and 4 yellow potatoes according to the cutting instructions. Put the sliced carrots, cubed potatoes, diced onions, and minced garlic into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Scoop 1 c flour and 1 t salt into a gallon-sized Ziplock back. Add the 1 ¼ lbs stew meat to the bag of flour, and close the bag. Shake the flour and stew meat together until each piece of meat is coated with flour. Set aside.
- Melt 1 T butter in a medium-sized skillet on medium heat. Remove the coated pieces of stew meat from the flour mixture, and place half of the meat in the skillet. Sear the meat in the heated skillet until browned, turning occasionally with tongs so all sides of the meat get cooked. Remove the meat from the skillet and add it to the mixing bowl with the vegetables. Melt the remaining 1 T butter in the skillet, and repeat the process with the second half of the meat.
- Mix everything together in the mixing bowl so all the ingredients are evenly mixed together.
- Put the vegetable and meat mixture into a regular-sized crockpot.
- Pour chicken broth into the crockpot with the vegetables and meat, adding 1 c at a time until the broth comes to the top of the crockpot.
- Put the lid on the crockpot and cook the stew on low setting for 8 hours (or overnight).
- Scoop finished stew into bowls and serve with added salt and pepper to taste. For the best, most authentic experience, serve in wooden bowls and eat with wooden spoons.
Step 3: Gather Ingredients for Lembas Bread
Gather all the following ingredients to prepare to make your Lembas bread:
- 2 ½ c all purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- ½ c butter
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t honey
- ⅔ c heavy whipping cream
- ½ t vanilla extract
Step 4: Make Lembas Bread
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 12 mins
Serving Size: 1 roll
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix the 2 ½ c flour, 1 T baking powder, and ¼ t salt in a large bowl. Add the ½ c softened butter and mix them well until you get fine granules (this is easiest with an electric mixer). Then add the ⅓ c brown sugar and 1 t cinnamon, and mix them thoroughly.
- Add the ⅔ c heavy whipping cream, ½ t honey, and ½ t vanilla, and stir with a fork until a nice, thick dough forms.
- Roll the dough out until it's about ½ inch thick. Cut out 3-inch squares, and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet. Being careful not to cut through the dough, lightly criss-cross each square from corner to corner with a knife.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or more (it may require more time if the bread is thicker) until bread is set and lightly golden.
- Let cool completely before eating; this bread tastes better at room temperature and dry. Also for more flavor, you can add additional cinnamon or other spices.
Step 5: Gather Ingredients for Miruvor
Gather all the following ingredients to prepare to make your non-alcoholic Miruvor:
- 2 ½ c bottled apple cider
- 1 c cranberry juice
- ⅛ c (2 T) lemon juice
- 1 T cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ¼ t ginger
- A pinch of crushed rosemary
Step 6: Make Miruvor
Cook time: 10–15 minutes
Cooling time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 2 cups
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 2 ½ cups of apple cider, 1 cup of cranberry juice, and ⅛ cup of lemon juice. Place the saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Measure out 1T cinnamon, ¼ t nutmeg, and ¼ t ginger. Add each to the mixture in the saucepan.
- Add a pinch of crushed rosemary to the mixture.
- Use a whisk to stir the mixture until all the spices are distributed evenly. (Don’t whisk to the point where the mixture becomes frothy.)
- Turn the heat up to high, and let the mixture simmer for 5–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the mixture off the heat, and let it cool for about 5 minutes. By now, most of the “sediment” from the spices should have settled to the bottom, but their flavor will have blended into the whole drink!
- Strain the mixture until most of the sediment has been removed.
- Pour the mixture into a mug, thermos, or other heat-resistant cup. Enjoy, but be sure not to burn your tongue!
Step 7: Enjoy Your Quest!
With these three, easy recipes, you're prepared to have an authentic, culinary, Lord of the Rings experience! We hope this hearty beef stew, fresh Lembas bread, and refreshing Miruvor give you the strength and courage needed to complete your journey. Be well fellow travelers; we wish you luck on your quest!
2 years ago