Introduction: No-Fish Flatbread Sandwich (Vegan)
If your are looking for a tasty meatless meal, then this no-fish flatbread sandwich with creamy mashed chickpea filler, golden brown baked eggplant and a subtle fishy undertone won't let you down. It will please the palates of vegans and non-vegans alike.
To make 4 sandwiches you will need:
- 4 flatbread sandwich rounds
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber
For baked eggplant:
- 1 medium size eggplant (300g-400g)
- 30g all purpose flour (3-4 tbsp)
- 70g chickpea flour (7-8 tbsp)
- 100g bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 80ml water (8 tbsp)
- 10ml white wine (1 tbsp)
For no-fish filler:
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can of chickpeas (which equals 240g of drained chickpeas)
- 100 to 120g vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary powder
- 4-5 tbsp nori flakes or two finely chopped nori sheets (approx. 5g)
- ½ medium lemon, juiced (1 1/2 tbsp of juice)
- 1 tbsp (10ml) white wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: BAKE THE EGGPLANT
- Remove the skin from the eggplant and slice it into 1/2“ rounds. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you will see beads of condensation drawn out. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Make the “egg” liquid. In a small bowl, combine the chickpea flour (70g) and salt (1/2 tsp) and slowly whisk in the water (80ml) and white wine (10ml).
- In another small bowl or plate, combine all purpose flour (30g), garlic powder (1 tsp) and onion powder (1 tsp). Stir to combine.
- In another small bowl, add bread crumbs (approx. 100g).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190-200 degrees C).
- Take one slice of eggplant and coat it in the flour mixture. Then dip it in the „egg“ liquid, letting the excess drip off. Finally, dredge the dipped slices in bread crumbs, pushing down gently to coat well. Repeat with all the eggplant slices.
- Thoroughly coat a baking sheet with an olive oil. Transfer the coated slices to the baking sheet. Using a brush (or spray), coat each generously with a layer of olive oil.
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 to 200 degrees C). Remove them from the oven when they're golden brown.
Step 2: MAKE NO-FISH FILLER
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to a bowl. Mash them with a fork or a potato masher so there are almost no whole chickpeas left and the mixture resembles a canned tuna consistency. Next, add vegan mayo (100-120g), dill (1 tsp), rosemary powder (¼ tsp), roughly chopped capers (2 tbsp), nori flakes (4-5 tbsp), lemon juice (1 ½ tbsp), wine (1 tbsp), soy sauce (1 tsp) and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Step 3: ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH
- Take baked eggplant pieces and cut them into small pieces (into halves or into thirds).
- Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Arrange the no-fish filler, cucumber slices, baked eggplant pieces and lettuce leave over one half of each flatbread. Fold over to form a sandwich and ENJOY!
Participated in the
Sandwich Challenge 2020